Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dizzydee

dizzydee

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hi, when i start up my pc, and waiting for my programmes to load, and not connected to the internet, i get a message saying, either you or a programme dss2.siteadvisor.com wants permission to connect to net, I always press cancel on the tab, because im not using it, but it keeps asking every time i restart my pc, which i think its strange, it started 2 days ago, ive googled about it, but cant find anything about it, any help, advice much appreciated, many thanks in advance, Dee.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

I just did a yahoo search for this and found a little bit of information that may be of some use to you;

"Security Alert: Domain Name Mismatch

You have attempted to establish a connection with "dss2.siteadvisor.com". However, the security certificate presented belongs to "dss1.siteadvisor.com". It is possible, though unlikely, that someone may be trying to intercept your communication with this web site.

If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to "dss2.siteadvisor.com", please cancel the connection and notify the site administrator"

I've discovered through some research discovered by others encountering this same alert (via Google) that according to the TrustDefender website, both dss1... and dss2... are rated as being trustworthy. I believe that they ARE, in fact, the same.

I then clicked "OK", and each time I've opened Firefox since then it's opened without any problems."

I don't know what type of browser you are using...this pertained to FireFox with a Macafee add-on called SiteAdvisor...
If you aren't comfortable clicking "OK" by all means don't. Instead post another topic in the "Am I infected" section and ask the experts there for advice. If this is some sort of Maleware they will probably be able to help you clean it up.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Post on this issue:

http://forums.cnet.com/Software/5208-6132_...ssageID=2473240

#4 dizzydee

dizzydee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hi and thankyou for replying douglas martin and tork.

Well at least it is not a virus, i read the link you gave me tork and ill wait a few days to see if it stops by itself.
Many thanks,

Dee.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hi, when i start up my pc, and waiting for my programmes to load, and not connected to the internet, i get a message saying, either you or a programme dss2.siteadvisor.com wants permission to connect to net, I always press cancel on the tab, because im not using it, but it keeps asking every time i restart my pc, which i think its strange, it started 2 days ago, ive googled about it, but cant find anything about it, any help, advice much appreciated, many thanks in advance, Dee.

You may uninstall Site Advisor and remove its folder from Program Files, if you don't use it.
But if you use it after uninstalling the application empty all Temp folders and install it again. It is a small application you can easily uninstall and if wanted reinstall again.

#6 dizzydee

dizzydee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hi farbar,

I do use both in FF and IE7, i meant i wasent using or connected to the internet when i got the aleart asking for it to connect to the internet
and why would it ask to connect to the internet anyway, sorry for not explaining it properly,
Many thanks

Dee.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

Also, if you use it but do not want it to run at startup, use a startup utility such as Codestuff Starter Control Panel
What application is giving you this pop up? Windows or a firewall program such as Zone Alarm?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 dizzydee

dizzydee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hi garmanma

It was a windows box and not comodo my firewall
Many thanks

Dee.

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hi farbar,

I do use both in FF and IE7, i meant i wasent using or connected to the internet when i got the aleart asking for it to connect to the internet
and why would it ask to connect to the internet anyway, sorry for not explaining it properly,
Many thanks

Dee.

No need to apologize. The reason is already in garmanma's post. Because the SA runs at startup, en may be it checks for updates, or it doesn't want to lag behind the IE and be ready to give you the service you want. I speak for myself: I give the permission to SA by setting up the firewall rule so it wouldn't ask me every time to give or deny permission. But if you don't like it garmanma's suggestion is the one for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users