Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Icon

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sniper47

Sniper47

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

HI,

I've accidentally deleted "main" internet explorer icon---the one located on desktop.Now I am using shortcut icon that I made from program files folder where IE7 is located.

I am using WinXP SP2 (czech edition)

Is there any way how can I refresh the original icon?
THX

Edited by Sniper47, 21 April 2008 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

HI,

I've accidentally deleted "main" internet explorer icon---the one located on desktop.Now I am using shortcut icon that I made from program files folder where IE7 is located.

THX

Check inside the recycle bin?

#3 Sniper47

Sniper47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

Yes,I've deleted it for shure.

#4 Sniper47

Sniper47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Searching google,but my problem is not mentioned.. :-(

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:26 PM

HI,

THX

I'm puzzled about what you want to restore. The IE icon on your desktop was deleted. You replaced it with the icon from IE Program Files, which when clicked on will open up Internet Explorer.
What is about the original icon you want to refresh?

#6 Sniper47

Sniper47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:59 PM

I've restored the icon with was deleted.Onlz one thing has changed,the icon now looks as the old one from IE6.Its OK,its the IE7,just the icon is not the same.Important is,thats its functions are the same as the previous one.
Anyway,thanks for reply.

PS:now I gonna figure out how to change it to IE7 icon

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Right click the icon -> select properties -> change icon -> choose IE 7 icon from the list -> OK -> Apply

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Farbar, now that we know what the OP wants to do, your suggestion would work IF the box that opens allows for that. I've changed icon images many times. However, I just right clicked on IE/Properties and what opens for me is Internet Properties, with no Change Icon Option.
I don't care what my icon looks like, as long as it gets me to the internet.

To Sniper, If you can change the icon, do so. If not, click on your start menu-does the icon look like the one that was deleted? If so, you can drag and drop internet explorer from the Start menu to your desktop.

And if that fails, try a system restore to a time just before you deleted the icon.

Edit to change one of the names in the post, since I mis-typed the name.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 April 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#9 Sniper47

Sniper47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

THX dude,my problem is now solved.

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

Queen-Evie, the suggestion made may or may not work, but it is the way one changes the look of the icon. There are others who may want to change the look of the icon, you don't care about the look, most of the time I don't care either except when they are on my desktop.

As the suggestion to use the system restore to restore the icon; don't you thing you may mess up with updates you have made and changes to the application, etc. I would use the system restore as the last resort when I get to serious trouble.

@Sniper47: glad you figure it out.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

I realize some people want to change the look of the icon, but what I was saying is I don't see that choice when I click on Properties. I apologize if what I originally said sounded snippy. Not my intent.
So even if I wanted to change it, I couldn't. Anyway, Spyder got his issue resoloved and that's the main thing. And yes, system restore in this case should be a last-ditch option. It's a double-edged sword, restore back and lose updates and application changes and have to do them over again OR do the restore, decide you don't want to redo updates, then UNDO the restore and have the original issue resurface.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 April 2008 - 05:57 PM.

#12 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hi Queen-Evie,

No deed to apologize, but thanks anyway for the friendly post.

Not that it (the content) matters but about changing the icons, you are right and there was a missing link in my previous post , so I refresh it. Besides it may apply to shortcuts and not to the icons as general. So this the correction:

For shortcuts:
Right click the shortcut -> select properties ->under shortcuts tab -> change icon -> choose (IE 7) icon from the list -> OK -> Apply

For Folders:
Right click the folder -> select properties -> customize -> change icon -> choose IE 7 icon from the list -> OK -> Apply

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

Farbar, your post set off my brain cells. I figured out WHY I get internet properties when right clicking IE/Properties. When a user account is set up, the first time that users desktop is accessed, the IE icon appears on the desktop. Checking the properties will open up Internet Properties, which is the EXACT same things as Internet Options.

Putting an IE shortcut on the desktop from Program Files or Start menu WILL allow for an icon change. Which is why Spyder was able to change the icon, because he created it from another source.

#14 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,726 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:57 AM

Queen-Evie, It clarifies the point and indeed it was the case. It seems all clear now.

#15 Sniper47

Sniper47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:29 AM

Farbar, your post set off my brain cells. I figured out WHY I get internet properties when right clicking IE/Properties. When a user account is set up, the first time that users desktop is accessed, the IE icon appears on the desktop. Checking the properties will open up Internet Properties, which is the EXACT same things as Internet Options.

Putting an IE shortcut on the desktop from Program Files or Start menu WILL allow for an icon change. Which is why Spyder was able to change the icon, because he created it from another source.

Looks like You understand the problem. :thumbsup: This is the reason why I can change it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users