Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Displays All Upper Case Directories And Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StanD

StanD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

I hope someone can help or explain this problem for me.

I have a DVD I made of my website. The website is constructed with every thing relative to the local system so that it will operate from the DVD.

My XP system has 2 DVD drives. One is a read only (E:) and the other is a R/W drive (F:). The problem is that on the read only drive ALL the directory and file names are in upper case and they are truncated to 8 characters, DOS files? For instance ThisIsanImage.jpg wil be THISISANI.JPG and index.html will be INDEX.HTML.

If I copy the files to my hard drive the result is the same. Of course the html involved will not function with the case of names and directories being changed.

However, if I put the DVD in my R/W drive the directory names and file names are correct and in mixed case with names longer than 8 characters. The website works fro this drive and copies to my hard drive ok. I have never run into this before.

Any one know what's going on. Do I have a setting some where in XP that I don't know about.

Your assistance is most welcome as I want to be able to send this DVD to other people, but I can't be confident that they won't have a problem.

Regards,
SD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the DVD drive that's giving you problems, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled on reboot).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users