Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interpret outgoing router log

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:18 AM

Say I'm visiting a website similar to this (forum & downloads type). Let's call it site S.
On their screen are few ads by companies A1 and A2.
I was told the software displaying the ads is actually installed at site S.
The ads and site S are shiny-clean. I have no problem with them.
No trash, no junk, no viruses that I can see.
I may even haved placed site S into the trusted zone 'cause I mean they're clean. But I'm not sure.

I don't understand what I see in the OUTGOING portion of the Linksys router log.
When I visit Site S, the log contains a continuous outgoing stream, such as:
site S IP address and name
site A1 IP address and name
site A2 IP address and name

What is my computer sending out to A1 and A2? Why?
They don't talk to me (nothing in the INCOMING log). I have nothing to say.
By way of experiment, I blocked everything one can block for A1 and A2 in Zone Alarm.
Initially A1 and A2 dropped out of the log. Then a day later, after rebooting they're back.

Incidentally, above is just a stream. When connected to BC, it's a raging, outgoing, river :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:30 PM

:thumbsup:

Heres the dealio with ads. The images and information for ads are always found off the site in question and stored in the advertisers platform site. So if you visit my site and ads come up, your computer will actually get that information from other sites and not BC which si why you see those connections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users