Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 repairman

repairman

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

I have windows xp on both of my computers, but I want to install Linux on one of my computers. One is connected to the internet and the other one is not. The computer that I want to install the Linux onto is 500MHz, with 256 Megs of memory, and a 20 gig hard drive. What I would like to know is what Linux system would work on this, and where can I get the software to install onto this computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

DSL and many of the other lightweight distros will work

Posted Image

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

In case you missed it this might help you decide
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41001/which-distro-is-right-for-me/

DSL, TinyMe, and even some of the "bigger" might work since you have 256mb mem.

-----
W.B. BlackSpyder

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 Thelastleap

Thelastleap

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

There is a ubuntu version without all the handy graphical user interfaces i belive
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

There is a ubuntu version without all the handy graphical user interfaces i belive

Xubuntu and fluxbuntu

Posted Image

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

I run Xubuntu on an ancient machine that's not even as powerful as the original posters. Methinks Xubuntu would be a good fit.

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

A good place to look, find, all the above is http://distrowatch.com/ . I suggest you pick 3-4 (or more) and try them out and see which seems to suit you and what you want to do :thumbsup: Nice thing about Linux is most (almost all) are free to download so try as many as you are willing to spend time downloading and burning to cd. I've used/tried 8-9 different distros before I settled on this one so don't be afraid to experiment some as most can be used "Live" which doesn't do anything to your system settings and runs from the cd itself, not the hard drive. ( I've got 4-5 distros I play with "live" from time to time ) Plus running them live will tell you pretty quick if your system will handle it well or not.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Once you settle on a distro, most of the applications a distro has immediate access to is in it's repositories. A repository is a library on your computer of links to the Internet of available programs. When you would like to install them, it is downloaded and installed.

Ubuntu's repository manager is called Synaptic Packet Manager.

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

LUV the Synaptic :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users