Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 igkovacs

igkovacs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

Hi!
I'm using A-Squared 3.5 anti malware tool, but I cannot update it. I always receive the info cannot connect to server, I think something is blocking my connection, because on other laptop I can update it with no problem.
Can someone help what should I check or adjust in my settings to be enable to update.
Thanks for help!

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:00 AM

Do you have a firewall other than Windows firewall? have you checked to see if A-Squared is on the list of permitted/allowed applications?

#3 igkovacs

igkovacs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

Yes, I'm using Bitdefender2008 firewall. I turned it off during when I tired to do an update as well as Windows firewall.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:50 AM

Yet check the firewall rules:

Open BitDefender, click on settings, in the linker pane select firewall, under the traffic check if the A-Squared updater is on the list. It should be and it should be allow instead of deny. To make sure you may remove the A-Squared updater from the taffic list. Then close BD try to update A-Squared if you get a prompt press allow.

#5 igkovacs

igkovacs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for your help.
I have checked the settings in Bitdefender as you described. No any program was mentioned at traffic, so I added manually, then I did a restart. But nothing happened, still the same error message: cannot connect to update server, and recommend to check the internet connection and proxy settings.
:thumbsup:

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

you coudl try reinstalling it ?

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

the exe is http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe

to try to give you a clean installation of the program?

#7 igkovacs

igkovacs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

I didn't reinstall yet because I'm using the same software on two laptops, but only one of the laptop have this problem. The other one can update nicely.
But anyhow I will give a try to reinstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users