Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Sure If I Was Hacked Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I think my recent computer problems might be because someone hacked into my computer! How can I tell if I had someone hack into my computer or if it was a virus,worm,trojan, or some other malware that caused my recent computer problems? If that was the cause of the problems? Which I am begining to believe is the case!

And then How can I prevent them from doing it again?

I would like to monitor the ports without them knowing about it. Are there any programs out there that will do that and let me know if something or someone tries to hack into my computer? Also I would like to find the little devil of a program that they left behind so that they can access my computer and the eliminate it! What programs are available that can find and then do that? But not harm my computer in the process?

I just recently reformated my harddrive and did a factory condition restore, because my computer kept crashing after start up. I am currently trying to find anti-Spyware,anti-virus and anti-malware programs that will help keep my computer safe!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

Usually you invite them, you just don't know it, bad web page? Some iffy program, a screen saver, a codec to play a video?

The list is endless, a firewall is usefull for detecting outbound traffic, but then malware often grants it's own exceptions.

I think the key word here is vigilence.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

what programs have you run to see if you can rake out any infections and do you have their log/ reports?

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hello Everyone,

Well all of the scans that I did do and their log reports were lost, when I had to reformat my harddrive and do the Factory condition restore. At the time, I had: SuperAntiSpyware Free,Spybot S&D free,a squared free,Windows Defender, and the McAfee Security Suite that came installed on my computer.

I did not realize that my computer problems might be someone hacking into my computer, untill I read one of the Tutorials about it. That is when I saw that one of the registry file changes that are made, matched exactly one that I remember seeing and then deleting one time. Now I am trying to figure out if my reformating the hard drive and doing the Factory Condition Restore deleted the prgoram the hacker used or if I need to use another method or program to scan my computer to find the hacker's program and then delete it?

What also got me to thinking about a hacker was I recieved a message from Paypal about someone trying to access my account! I have not used Paypal yet. But I am also wondering if that message could be a hoax also! I did not access my account via that message, or respond to that message. All that message stated was about to check my account or to not and let them put a limited use on it. I am just paraphrasing. I did save the message on Yahoo email.

What should I do now? What would you recommend I do? Should I check the email message and try to trace the ip address, that they gave me, they said tried to access my account? All the Advice You give will be greatly appreciated!!

Also If you need more information just ask.

Tuesday April 22,2008 Edit: I do not have the antispyware,antimalware programs that I previously had, Except the McAfee, reinstalled as of yet. That is why I was looking for the best free programs available, that would compliment each other. So I can add them to my arsenal of antimalware,antispyware,anti hacker programs etc......

I liked Spybot S&D, SuperantiSpyware, and the a squared programs. But want to know if there are other programs that I can add that will suppliment them. How about SpywareBlaster,ComodoBO clean,AVG Anti-Spyware? If I add another anti-virus program such as: Avast Free, AVG free, or Bitdefender Free. Will that interfere with the McAfee Suite Anti-Virus scan?

Also, Are there programs that can detect when someone is trying to hack into my computer?

Edited by Groffeaston, 22 April 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

run the superantispyware and asquared programs on full deep scans OFF line and see if they run clean?

#6 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hello everyone

I just reinstalled Spybot S&D this afternoon and did a scan. All it found was some cookies. Like I mentioned in my edited post, what other programs can I get that will not interfere with each other and not interfere with the McAfee Suite?

Also how many prorgams is considered overkill? Because I am thinking about which programs to install between: SpywareBlaster,Comodo BOclean,SuperAnti-Spyware free,AVG anti-Spyware, and a squared.

Also with the McAfee Suite and its virus scan program, Would it be advisable to install another antivirus program? Or would that interfere with the McAfee program? I was thinking between: Avast free, AVG free, and Bit defender free.

Which of the above mentioned programs, should I install or would you recommend me to install?

Also are there any others that I did not mention that would be benificial to have installed on my computer?

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:20 PM

Hello everyone,

I downloaded SpywareBlaster lastnight and installed it this morning. So now I have on my computer: the Mcafee programs that came installed on the computer,Spybot S&D free and SpywareBlaster.

Is there anything else that I should have? Or are there any recommendations that you have that would help? Please let me know.

You can read my other posts above to see my other questions that are along the same lines. But are more specific about programs.

I some more questions but I will use a seperate Topic Posting to ask them. They are similar to a couple questions that are asked in the posts I have above.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

I wouldn't add too many programs since McAfee is such a resource hog, too bad it's so ineffective
Chewy

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

the 'rule' is only have ONE installed antivirus program

I suggest if you think you have sumunt lurking sumewhere?

try again to run superantispyware and asquared on full deep scans , make sure you save the log reports and chuck 'em on here for review :thumbsup:

#10 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hello ruby!

I will download and reinstall the a squared and SuperAntiSpyware and then run them on Deep scan and them post the logs here!

With regards to McAfee, I had heard that was a good program to have. But now that I have a computer, I am hearing that it is so/so on the reputation. what I am trying to say is: I hear it is good in some areas, but a big memory hog! Also that it does not pick up on some things that most of the other programs pick up. If I did not have it already installed on my computer and have a service subcription that runs out in 2010. Than I would probably choose a differant security software program to install. With the McAfee I have the Security Center,Virus Scan,Personal FireWall,Spam Killer, and Privacy Service.

I will let you know when I have each one of the programs downloaded and then installed back on my computer. Then I will run them on deep scan and post the logs on here. Talk to you soon.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

I assumed it was from my McAfee Security Centre

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/143729/infected-by-awola-60-and-could-really-use-some-help-removing-it/

this happened to a computer I tried to fix where a dangerous malware got thru McAfee, I was lucky and could get into safe mode and remove McAfee, the computer ran great then but was heavily infected, I never could fix all the problems and ended up doing a clean install
Chewy

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hello everyone

Just updating my progress so far. I have down loaded both asquared free and SUPERAnitspyware free. I will run them, one at a time on deep scan, in the morning! Then I will save the logs and then post the logs on here. See you then!

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:10 PM

What also got me to thinking about a hacker was I recieved a message from Paypal about someone trying to access my account! I have not used Paypal yet. But I am also wondering if that message could be a hoax also! I did not access my account via that message, or respond to that message. All that message stated was about to check my account or to not and let them put a limited use on it. I am just paraphrasing. I did save the message on Yahoo email.

What should I do now? What would you recommend I do? Should I check the email message and try to trace the ip address, that they gave me, they said tried to access my account? All the Advice You give will be greatly appreciated!!

No one has addressed your concerns regarding the message from Paypal. It was not an attempt at hacking. It was however, PHISHING. You did the right thing by not responding. Phising attempts are made everyday. We've all received mails wanting us to verify our accounts with banks, credit card companies, ebay, whatever. I've gotten mail wanting to verify with banks I've never used. Ebay which I've never used. Credit cards I don't have. The senders will send in bulk, to as many people as they can, knowing that a few will reach legitimate customers. The problems occur when customers aren't aware or aren't educated enough to know these are bogus mail, and they do verify the info.
Now a bad guy has data they can use for their own evil purposes.
The ones I've gotten supposedly from my ISP I knew were fake. Legitimate companies do not ask for that info through email.

Here is an explanation for Phising: I hope you find it useful:

E-MAIL PHISHING. Phishing is the term coined by Internet scammers who imitate legitimate companies in e-mails to entice people to share user names, passwords, account information or credit-card numbers. The term Phishing comes from the fact that Internet scammers are using increasingly sophisticated lures as they "fish" for users' private information. The most common ploy is to copy the look and feel of a web page from a major site and use that design to set up a nearly identical page that appears to be part of the company's site. Please remember to always be suspicious of any E-Mail that requests personal account information, such as solicitations for usernames, passwords, account numbers or any other personal data. Just because it looks like it came from an authentic source, doesn't mean that it did. NEVER REPLY TO THEM. Banks, internet service providers, e-bay, pay-pal, and other legitimate companies will never ask for this information by email. Always ensure that you're using a secure server when submitting credit card information. To make sure you're using a secure server, check the beginning of the web address in your browsers address bar - it should be https:// rather than just http://.

#14 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hello Queen-Evie

I started running a-squared on deep scan, But got interupted and had to stop it when it was almost done. The only thing that showed up was cookies. 5 low threat cookies. I tried to upload the log onto here the other day but had trouble opening and reading the log. I guess because I need to update to Adobe 8.0, Since I had the problem with my computer crashing after start-up and I had to reformat the hard-drive and do a factory condition reset. I had the Adobe 8.0 before the problem.

I will try running the SuperAntiSpyware program on deep scan and see what comes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users