Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Internet Browser Is Messed Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 quinnteq

quinnteq

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Ok,

for two days now i have noticed that no webpage will display any background image. I am uploading a screen shot of the homepage for BleepingComputer.com. This worries me because it doesn't display the pages properly in IE or Mozilla (acutally flock, but its mozilla based). Plus, my desktop icons aren't being displayed correctly either. They have little gray squares around them, even though i have drop shadows enabled on them within the system properties. When that happened, the web pages started to not display right. Is this a virus? Ive done spyware and virus scans and nothing comes up in Avast Home Edition, or SUPERantispyware Free Edition.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

I would start with the easy things:

1. Empty your IE and FF cache, cookies and history.
2. If needed rest the security and privacy settings to its default.
3. Do you have boot problems? Or problem with stanby ?
4. Do you have your Windows installation CD?

#3 quinnteq

quinnteq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

alright,

1) did that, but i always do that (internet privacy nut, my senior thesis is on internet privacy).
2)Never changed any of those... but ill give it a shot.
3)I had a blue screen, but that was awhile ago... hasn't shown up recently... and once in a while the screen wont come back on from standby, ill have to restart the computer.
4) yes, i do... its my Dell restoration disk that came with it.

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,713 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:56 AM

I am thinking of two things, reinstalling the display driver and a scan to repair the eventually corrupted system files.

lets start with the second one:

Since you have no Windows installation CD you should open the restoration CD with windows explorer, and find i386 folder, copy it to your system, change the registry to point to the folder instead of you CD/DVD-Rom and then run sfc /scannow. It checks the integrity of windows system files and if needed replaces the.

How to do it step by step you read here: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

#5 quinnteq

quinnteq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

Well i did the second thing you mentioned just before you got back to me cause i found a tutorial while lurking around the site. I repaired windows with the utility. It took like an hour to complete (it said there were corrupted files) although it did nothing to help the problem.
Now though (just before and after i ran the utility) windows media player wont display the buttons correctly... they are all black and white. That plus in some other programs it doesnt display correctly either. There are white boxes around text that isnt in the same font when i had first used those programs. Everything still runs fine... no preformance issues... its just everything seems to be displaying wrong.

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,713 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

I would uninstall and then reinstall display driver.
You may first identify your display driver from device manger, then check if you have them on the installation CD you may have got from Dell or download the driver from here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen

Edited by farbar, 22 April 2008 - 01:26 PM.

#7 quinnteq

quinnteq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

*sigh* still no go. I'll keep lookin around for answers while waiting for your reply.

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,713 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:39 AM

Have you tried this:

Run chkdsk utility to check the volume for errors: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

#9 quinnteq

quinnteq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

Ok,

while waiting for your reply the other day I booted in safe mode maybe thinking its hardware conflict or something (couldnt hurt i thought) so, when i got to the login screen in safe mode i choose "Administrator" ... there was nothing wrong. So whatever it was was some kind of setting in the other user account i normally use. I created a new one... transfered all my documents to it... and it works just fine... But, still, im curious to know... what would cause that? What setting would get corrupted or turned on or off to cause that kind of display problem?

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,713 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:41 AM

Nice work, glad you figure it out and thanks for letting me know.

There may be many things, the most common ones are using registry cleaners, infection, fragmentation, partial hardware failures leading to data loss, and software conflicts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users