Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eZpcTech

eZpcTech

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hi there,

Have a 2004 Dell GX270 3 Ghz Intel with 1 gig RAM - XP Pro SP3 that doesn't like to get up in the morning. First boot attempt gets me to the boot options screen then screen goes black with no further action (HD activity). Power light remains on. (though all lights on the rear of the case are off). I power down the PC and start again. The second boot attempt gets me to XP's welcome screen then the same thing happens. The third boot attempt gets me to XP's desktop then again the blank screen. On the fourth attempt it loads fully and runs without fault. If I shut it down after this sequence and restart it loads properly. This happens every morning in this exact sequence. The unit is in a warm (not hot) room and neither is it cold at night. I have replaced the power supply with a new 450W Coolmaster, reseated the RAM and Vid card and checked all cabling but no change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

I had something similar a few years back, I finally traced it to an old fan I had jury rigged on a video card(voodoo)

cold weather made it worse, when a computer starts a bad bearing may draw down the power voltage rails enough that the hard drive can't boot up

Is everything whistle clean, have you left the side off the case and watched and listened at bootup?

Edited by DaChew, 20 April 2008 - 08:44 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 eZpcTech

eZpcTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

G'day Chewy... yep everything is clean, there are no driver errors/conflicts either. Just ran ERD Commander and checked for system file corruptions and it had none. It did however identify a DCOM error at the time of boot in Events...

"The application specific permission settings did not grant Local Launch permission for the COMM server application with CLSID {******} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18)"

Haven't observed the boot with the case off ... now that it's running I may have to wait for morning, but I can say there is no bearing noise in the card fan which is functioning properly.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

all you might see is a case fan being slow to spin up, sometimes that's the best way to troubleshoot a power bootup problem,
disconnect non-essential items and test
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 eZpcTech

eZpcTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:10 PM

Ok, I'll pay close attention
Cheers

#6 eZpcTech

eZpcTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

Well, it's morning and the problem remains... no fan noises or sluggish start - halts at the same 3 places

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users