Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me choose which firewall to unstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 janbas

janbas

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:15 AM

Hi

This is my first time posting here :thumbsup:

I want to install a firewall, but i can't make up my mind which one to choose.

I've heard that ZoneAlarm is pretty good, but i'm not sure, and i really would appreciate your input on this.

I have NOD32, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and BitDefender on my computer. Should I install firewall as well?

If i do have firewall on my computer, how can i know if it blocks viruses or doesn't allow valid files installed on my computer? i'm asking this bacause i'm afraid i will accidentally delete essintial system files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:46 AM

Either Zone Alarm, or my personal choice, Sygate Personal Firewall are both excellent choices. Certainly installing a firewall will block a lot of problems BEFORE they would ever show up on, for example, Ad-Aware SE.
I would recommend you read a very good tutoral explaining how firewalls work, which will answer, I think, many of your questions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Und...alls-tut60.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:47 AM

What platform are you running on? I presume XP, so firstly this must be up to date and SP2 downloaded. I would also install Microsoft Beta Anti Spy wear (Free from Microsoft Website) I find it is excellent in advising on attempted changes.

My firewall is Zone Alarm Pro although if you do not need the Anti Virus ordinary Zone Alarm (Free Version) is good.

Personally EVERY Firewall needs "TRAINING" or setting up for your own system. I find Zone Alarm and MS Beta very forgiving, as they only BLOCK various addresses and sites, so if I DENY Access to a Valid site by mistake, it is very simple to go into ZA or MS Beta and then allow it. As my PC XP is a Finnish version and I do not speak Finnish this happens a lot (or the wife and her daughter who both "Click First" and "Think Second".

Everyone has their own favourites, I think it depends how you use your PC and your level of understanding.

My PC out of Interest has the following.

XP with Auto Update ON
MS Beta 1 with Auto Update ON and Runs Scan at 1am Daily
Zone Alarm Pro. (FireWall, Anti Virus etc etc. Auto Update ON Real Time scanning Enabled.)
SpyBot S&D. Tea Timer Enabled and Inoculation Enabled
Ad-Aware SP
SpywareBlaster with Inoculation Enabled.

The final set up and choice of programs was with the help of THIS SITE. Today my PC runs very smoothly and I do not suffer ads, pop ups, Spy ware (Occasional, but know about it now) or viruses.

So my answer is What I have appears to do a great job for me. On Line Gamers may advise different etc.

:thumbsup:

#4 janbas

janbas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for all of your advice.

I've installed the ZoneAlarm and it works fine for me untill now.

By the way, i'm using windows 2000.

If anybody has more useful advice or tips, i'll be glad to hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users