Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Problem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bowserthedog

bowserthedog

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

I don't know if something similar has been posted before, because I do not know exactly what to search for, in addition, I did not know where to post this, as it could be a problem with so many things (it could be the game, OS, hardware, etc.)
MY PROBLEM:
When I play a game called Need For Eat, I get little distortions all over the screen (this also happens with other older games such as Earthworm Jim 3d), especially when a message comes up in the game. :thumbsup: This stuff only happens when I have my drivers installed for my graphics card.
Graphics Card and Driver Info:
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro (RV630)
GPU: PCI Express 1.0 x16: Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 Pro
Drivers: Latest from ATI dot com with Catalyst Control Center (latest) installed.

EXAMPLE OF DISTORTION (in game "Need For Eat")
Posted Image
Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hello,

It looks like Artefacting to me, the graphics card may be overheating. Does this happen with modern 3D games?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hello,

It looks like Artefacting to me, the graphics card may be overheating. Does this happen with modern 3D games?

This does not happen in any newer games (year 2000+), In fact, this is a pretty good card, it makes games look very very stellar.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

If this problem is not happening on newer games, then it is most likely a driver fault. Have you tried uninstaling the game then re instaling it?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

Yes, but I will try it again, any other ideas in case it doesn't work?

#6 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

Sorry to double post, but:
It didn't work to uninstall and reinstall. Thanks for trying to help me by the way.

#7 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:17 PM

i would set the game to run in an "earlier version of windows mode". I have to do this whenever I install fallout on a new pc that runs vista or xp. i'm pretty sure you can do this by just right clicking on the .exe and you'll see the option, but if thats not available, follow...

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...cf5f101033.mspx

Youll also want to download any OFFICIAL patches for the game, cause they always fix little glitches
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#8 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

I have the compatibility stuff already checked, I always do that with older stuff. There are no official patches for this game.

#9 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

Sorry to souble post again, but i still have this problem, does anyone have any ideas?

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

You might have to use older versions of drivers for the graphics card as mentioned before.

Also, if you have the ATI Catalyst Control Center installed, try disabling Catalyst A.I. One time one of my games that has older style graphics had blurry picture and turning this off really helped. I think it may have made newer games blurry though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#11 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

I cannot find an option for any CCC AI. COuld you walk me through that?

#12 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Did you install the catalyst control center when you installed your graphics drivers? If so you should be able to right click anywhere on your desktop and see ATI Catalyst Control Center as one of your options to click (I don't have it installed anymore so I don't remember exactly what it says. After it opens up, make sure to run it in advanced mode, not basic. Then, I think its an option under graphics properties that says Disable Catalyst A.I. If my instructions aren't very clear here are ones I found using google. http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/top10-9.html (make sure to disable and not enable like the guide tells you too)

What enabling this does is it tries enhancing the features of games (or something like that). Well I think its may have reverse effects on older games. I play a game called Free Style Street basketball, that has low quality graphics. If I disable Catalyst A.I. the words become a lot sharper to read (they are very blurry with it enabled). The only problem is it also makes the court come in blurrier though.

So really this suggestion is a shot in the dark. You might also be able to mess around with a few other settings in it to see if that helps at all.

Edited by Sterling14, 25 April 2008 - 06:25 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#13 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

Did not work, thank you so much for trying though! What do you use instead of catalyst now?

#14 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

I like a program called ATI Tray Tools. I like it mostly because it tells me how many fps I'm getting while playing a game. It shows the number in the right hand corner of the screen. It also has a pretty nice overclocking feature and some other things too. I notice that Catalyst makes my computer turn on more slowly too. ATI Tray Tools doesn't at all.

#15 bowserthedog

bowserthedog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

Do you know where I could get that program? Because I notice my machine does start slower since install of Catalyst.

btw, I uninstalled the drivers and catalyst and stuff, but now most stuff runs a little weird, but the game runs perfectly now.
anyone know of a driver or program that can take place of the files i deleted, becaus ei need a driver, and i don't want to go back to the ones i had.

Edited by bowserthedog, 27 April 2008 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users