Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie/firefox Cannot Connect To Any Websites. Everything Else Works.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 UltimaWeaponX

UltimaWeaponX

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi everyone! First time posting so please be patient with me. My girlfriend is currently having trouble with any web browser connecting to websites. A couple of computer information:

HP Pavilion dv2550se
Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Mozilla Firefox version 2.0.0.14
Internet Explorer 7 (rarely used anyway)

I tried to run a search in the bleeping forums to see if I could find a solution without having to post. Obviously if i'm writing this that means I couldn't, however if there is a thread that you think is directly related to my problem, please feel free to link it or let me know.

Problem:

At first, internet explorer was having a few problems. Whenever IE opened it would not be able to load the current webpage or home page. Typing in urls wouldn't work either. However, if she clicked any sort of links, it would work in IE. For example, if she opened her Inbox from MSN Messenger, it would show in IE.

Since she's regularly a firefox user, it didn't matter that much to her that IE wouldn't work. One day though, Firefox popped up with a new message saying to download new updates for her version. Since I wasn't there when she installed the updates, I don't know whether it was an official firefox update or ad-ware. She claims it was. After the new version installed, it went downhill from there. Firefox or IE will not open any web page, regardless of links, emails, anything.

She uses a wireless lan router around her home. I am using my laptop right now, which means other computers on the same network CAN connect to the internet and ISP. I did a full reset of the router just in case that was the problem, but apparently not. Therefore the ISP problem is out. It's only her laptop that has this problem. Every other computer in her house (2 laptops and a desktop) can and will connect to the internet with no problems. MSN messenger and outlook still work on her computer.

- Did a full scan with Symantec's Antivirus Vista Corporate edition. Nothing suspicious came up.
- Did a full scan with all three of Uniblue's software. (Registry Cleaner, SpyEraser, SpeedUpMyPC) These are registered as well. Not the free versions. Nothing came back awkward.
- Installed Spy-Bot S&D, ran a scan and "no immediate threats detected" -_-;
- Installed HijackThis, ran a scan (I can post the .log if needed), I didn't notice anything malicious (Although I am no expert with HJT) -____-;
- Uninstalled and reinstalled FF, no change. IE also not working.
- I followed a post from another thread in bleepingforums, regarding LSP-fix. Tried that, and I discovered theres a weird dll in the system, called mdnsNSP.dll. Ran a search in Google, and it doesn't seem to be the problem. Apparently it's part of Apple Computers? Any suggestions with that?
- Booted Laptop in Safe Mode, FF/IE still didn't work.

I'm fresh out of ideas. If anyone can please resolve this, that would be great. Like I said, I do have a HJT.log, if mods want to see.

My very very last option, would be to completely Reformat her laptop. I have an external Harddrive, but this is obviously a very tedious process. I would like to avoid using this option if at all possible.

I can provide any other information necessary, just let me know what to do. Thanks.

I appreciate anyone's suggestions, thank you in advance.

-Ultima
UltimaWeaponX

Laptop: HP dv6648se Notebook
Interests: Graphic and Web Design

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi Ultima,

Lets see if this has anything to do with the Firefox update.

Try some troubleshooting by following these Firefox articles:

Problems after Updating Firefox.
Problems loading websites after Firefox update.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 UltimaWeaponX

UltimaWeaponX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

Hi TMack,

I've looked at these threads before, I don't believe my GF has any Firewalls.

I disabled Symantec's auto-protect and tried using FF, didn't work.
I also disabled Windows Firewall permantly, so it can't be that.
Disabled her D-Link router firewall, so that's ruled out as well..

Even if I disabled these and they're secretly running in the background, it wouldn't make sense because they were never configured to be "bypassed" in the first place, meaning it didn't matter since they already passed through the firewalls.

As well, I don't believe those would actually solve the connection problem, since they would apply to FF, and not IE.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help though TMack!
UltimaWeaponX

#4 UltimaWeaponX

UltimaWeaponX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:25 PM

bump
UltimaWeaponX

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:47 AM

Hi UltimaWeaponX,

I am not so good at FF (I have it, don't use it much). But since both the IE and FF are problematic there should be a link, something cause both of them to malfucntion. So if you solve one problem it may takes care of the other too.

What I suggest at this stage, since you are not mentioning it:

1. Empty FF and IE cache, cookies, history.
2. Set the privacy and security settings for both IE and FF to its default if they are modified.
2. In IE under privacy tab, click on sites, then remove all to remove restricted sites if there is any. Do the same for FF (if you use Spywareblaster you have to reenable the restrictions).
3. Check your firewall (Windows or any other) and make sure iexplorer.exe has full permission to connect to internet. Do the same for FF.

Please let me know when you have done these steps and we will take it from there.

#6 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

I had the same problem after the latest ff update. I downloaded Safari browser in the end because nothing would sort out not getting on the net through ff.

#7 confuzled

confuzled

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

Ultima- I've got my eye on this thread.. Although I can connect to some sites, I'm having issues with many.. in both IE and FF.. I too downloaded recently the FF update.. Wondering if there is a connection...

#8 UltimaWeaponX

UltimaWeaponX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:06 AM

What I suggest at this stage, since you are not mentioning it:

1. Empty FF and IE cache, cookies, history.
2. Set the privacy and security settings for both IE and FF to its default if they are modified.
2. In IE under privacy tab, click on sites, then remove all to remove restricted sites if there is any. Do the same for FF (if you use Spywareblaster you have to reenable the restrictions).
3. Check your firewall (Windows or any other) and make sure iexplorer.exe has full permission to connect to internet. Do the same for FF

Hi farbar,

1. I have emptied them before, but I tried today again with no luck.
2. Privacy setting reset. Nothing :thumbsup:
3. No restricted sites in IE.
4. Windows Firewall disabled, I don't believe she has any other firewall.

So far, no good :flowers: Thanks though, any other suggestions?
UltimaWeaponX

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,722 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:28 AM

It is frustrating isn't it?

1. Make sure of this: Open Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings > all items should be unckecked.
2. There is a utility called Dial-a-fix, it does no harm applying it even if it didn't help. Download from http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix run it, check all the items and press Go.

Reboot and try IE.

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

If you are still having problems try the following.

Go to Start / Run / then type in cmd
Press okay.
Type or copy/paste the following in the Command box:
Press Enter after each one.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Type EXIT to close & turn off the computer.

Disconnect the computer from the router or modem, then the
router from the modem. Turn off both the router and the modem, then turn on just the
modem. When all modem lights are lit, reconnect the modem to the router
then turn on the router. When all router lights are lit, reconnect and
restart the computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 UltimaWeaponX

UltimaWeaponX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

1. Make sure of this: Open Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings > all items should be unckecked.
2. There is a utility called Dial-a-fix, it does no harm applying it even if it didn't help. Download from http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix run it, check all the items and press Go.

Reboot and try IE.

1. I followed all the directions, no luck.
2. Dial-a-fix doesn't work with Vista, I did a search on google and it doesn't seem to have a version out for it yet.

If you are still having problems try the following.

Go to Start / Run / then type in cmd
Press okay.
Type or copy/paste the following in the Command box:
Press Enter after each one.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Type EXIT to close & turn off the computer.

Disconnect the computer from the router or modem, then the
router from the modem. Turn off both the router and the modem, then turn on just the
modem. When all modem lights are lit, reconnect the modem to the router
then turn on the router. When all router lights are lit, reconnect and
restart the computer.

Sorry TMack, I tried it and it didn't work =(

I'm starting to think that Reformatting is the only option left. Do you want me to post a HJT log?
UltimaWeaponX

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

If your Anti-malware scan haven't reported anything suspicious, the HJT Team won't be able to help in this situation.

Sometimes running Norton Antivirus can cause problems with Internet connectivity on certain computers.

Also, did you try both of the WinSock XP Fix utilities?
We recommend the WinSock2 Fix, if the first dosen't work.
When you run it, click on ReG-Backup button first to backup the registry, and then click on the Fix button.

Edit: These utilities are to be used on XP.

Edited by TMacK, 24 April 2008 - 02:30 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 UltimaWeaponX

UltimaWeaponX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:54 AM

Unfortunately, I had no choice but to reformat the computer. Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated, but I guess there really was no visible cure that could be found.
UltimaWeaponX

#14 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,722 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for letting us know.

#15 Irishdude

Irishdude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

** Note! **

I found this thread while looking for a solution after disinfecting a laptop of a 404 page not found-type virus (Tinyproxy, trojans, you name it!).

I found that the problem for me was .... (drumroll please...)....

The "Proxy" settings in both IE and Firefox had been set to "Manual" by the spyware/malware. Once these were changed back, both browsers worked perfectly again.

2 weeks of headscratching later.... :thumbsup:

Ah well - at least I avoided the dreaded reformatting!! :flowers:

Hope this helps somebody!

Edited by Irishdude, 23 October 2008 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users