Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Issue - Cannot Reinstall Protection/firewall/av

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TarAntXon

TarAntXon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hello, please direct me to the correct topic in case I have posted in the wrong place.

I have recently reinstalled WinXP Home Edition with SP2 on AMD Athlon 64 2x with 2GB of RAM [at the moment the memory does not appear under My Computer properties and the system is impossibly slow].

After reinstalling most of the programs the computer seems to have developed some registry problems that have became apparent when reinstalling an AntiVirus program. Install is denied to the Administrator.

Service Pack 3 has been trying to update but after download will not install properly due to local administrator priviliges denied, although I am logged as Administrator on a standalone computer. I have also tried installing SP3 after dowloading the complete file but to no avail.

I have performed several AV and Anti Malaware scans in the last 48 hours, both online and off, CHKDSK and Defrag on all disks. System, drives and memory all appear to be error free.

The registry was reported to be too large to be backed up so I tried a compacter/defragmenter. All attempts have been unsuccessful. I also uninstalled [with uninstall tool] all AV instances. Windows Live OneCare scan tool gives error 0x04601C01 but I found no help in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer warns that Windows Firewall tests cannot be done due to an error(0x80080005) occurred while scanning for security updates.

I have not yet attempted to run the update in Safe Mode nor have tried editing the registry which appears to have a lot of clutter from programs that have been installed/uninstalled over time.

At the moment the PC will boot up to a black screen and I have to manually run explorer.exe to get to my desktop and Start button does not respond.

Please do not suggest I reinstall XP as this has not resolved the registry issue in the past, rather it seems to have aggravated it.

Perhaps unrelated I have lost all my backed up data on external Hard Drives [Maxxtor 320GB and Seagate 500GB] twice in 4 months due to excessive tremors from a railway line.

Please advise on what scans I can perform to assist in your diagnosis and whether I should take any other action before running a HijackThis log.

Thank you.

{MOD EDIT:moved to more appropriate forum ~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 20 April 2008 - 10:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hello TarAntXon and welcome to bleepingcomputer
Please read the forum where it says "preparation before posting a HJT Log"
Unfortunatly I couldn't find that forum but I'm sure someone will tell you soon.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

What type of install did you do, Full or Repair? Honestly, if it were me I'd start over with a fresh install. Did you do this reinstall with an XP CD or the computer manufacturer's recovery CD's and were they the correct ones for your computer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

It sounds like they have tried to run windows as a repair disk from within windows, not by booting to the cd?

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 TarAntXon

TarAntXon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

It sounds like they have tried to run windows as a repair disk from within windows, not by booting to the cd?

thanks for the replies...it has taken approx 7 hours to get again to the blue screen I had yesterday, as usb mouse and keyboard were not recognised. i have attempted safe mode, this gives: "the following file is missing or corrupt:\windows\system32\config\system ...select "r" to start repair using original CD-ROM."
this is what I have attempted, booting with the original CD, otherwise I got complete failure to even start Windows, black screen, zero fuctions and after checking power supply, cables, memory, monitor and had to reset BIOS and CMOS, tried 'Last Known Good Configuration' all to no avail.
it's impossible to do a HijackThis report as I don't even reach the Start screen, and I am reluctant to do a clean reinstall as I couldn't back up the registry as explained before. I know my files are OK on secondary drives but I kow I'd lose all the Outlook data and I have some work that cannot wait in email folders and drafts there... HELP?

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

boot to the cd, skip the recovery console and install windows using the repair option as shown in my link

you may have to fight the infection with tools downloaded from another computer and staying out of normal mode

if you can ever get it fixed enough, grab the outlook data

I have some work that cannot wait

have you seen the wait times in the hijackthis threads?

Edited by DaChew, 22 April 2008 - 03:33 PM.

Chewy

#7 TarAntXon

TarAntXon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

hmmm, thanks Chewy. Unfortunately now I can't seem to boot at all from the XP CD-ROM which is now showing serious signs of wear! I see the XP screen and then the dreaded blue screen of death...work should have been sent yesterday, now is already too late. depressed. if I can I'll use my maxed out credit card and buy a new PC ad rescue the main drive? but how?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

ask around, there are a lot of places that grab your data and if you have a legal cd and certificate of authwhatever
they can reload and have you up and running

it is cheaper to buy a new computer but then you have that problem of that data, here again it's not a beginner task

back in the olden days of dummies for dos and windows those books stressed having a pc guru, a friend you bribed with beer
chocolate, home cooked meal whatever
Chewy

#9 TarAntXon

TarAntXon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

well, are you suggesting I offer personal favours to rescue lost work that already cost me thousands of pounds? :thumbsup: I have worked out how to reset the CMOS but then what? here's what I'd like to try next: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/ "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting" but how do I get the XP disk to start the machine so I can select "r" for recovery?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/

your lost work is irrelevant
Chewy

#11 TarAntXon

TarAntXon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

thank you Bakky! Finally some hope! I will try the Recovery Console as soon as I manage to burn a CD on this clapped out emergency laptop that has a few too many keys missing and no floppy nor USB 2...and I mentioned my work not to get sympathy but because everyone keeps telling me to reinstall/reformat and I can't afford to! ...dinner is on me if you're ever in London! :thumbsup:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

Implementation of a backup strategy...would eliminate unnecessary worry about what is on a system.

Things go wrong all the time with computers...not all of them can be solved by retaining the files which were on the system when it went on the blitz.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users