Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wllm55

wllm55

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Location:Lower Chesapeake Bay, East Coast, USA, N37.00 W076.00
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

I have an 80gb hard drive and would like to get something bigger. Dell offers 100gb and 120gb drives but I was hoping for something at least 250gb. Is there a way to figure out what drives will fit my laptop and I will not have overheating issues or power problems? If anyone could direct me to a website or whatever I'm open for suggestions. Especially which brands or speeds to look for or which ones to avoid.
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill
Dell Inspiron 6400(laptop),Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600),1.73 gigahertz Intel Core Duo,2048 Megabytes Installed Memory,SAMSUNG HM080II [Hard drive] (78.52 GB)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

http://www.newegg.com/laptop hard drives
You need to know if it's IDE or SATA
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 wllm55

wllm55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Garmanma, So I have to assume that other than the type of hard drive there are no issues about heat or power? Thanks for the info. Bill
Dell Inspiron 6400(laptop),Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600),1.73 gigahertz Intel Core Duo,2048 Megabytes Installed Memory,SAMSUNG HM080II [Hard drive] (78.52 GB)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

No, there shouldn't be any issues
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 wllm55

wllm55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, it's time to take out the charge card! Thanks again, Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users