Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bank Details Obtained

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redman777

redman777

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

I recently had my bank details scammed online,it started when someone took 1 out of my current account and opened a web saver account with it in my name, we had to open another account and close that one,it was a pain because all direct debits had to be notified all pensions paid in had to be notified.
anyway,we got all that sorted and I tried to get my banking details online and found I could not access the page,on ringing the bank up I was informed that someone the day before had change my password,I am now waiting for another password to be sent to my home address.
How can anyone get details like that frm my PC is there a virus or worm or anything like that that could collect my info. ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

A trojan would do that. Perhaps even a keylogger. I would suggest you make a thorough scan of your system for malware. You could also post a HiJackThis log for an expert to view.

Never keep important bank details on your computer. Don't save any password on your computer as trojans can get a hold of them and send them to someone over the web.

I really hope you have an antivirus software and a firewall. A firewall could block malicious outgoing informations.
Please post back if we found the solution

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

Have you checked your computer for malware infection?

Backdoor Trojans, IRCBots and Infostealers are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which they send back to the hacker. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge. Read the Danger: Remote Access Trojans.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately disconnect from the Internet until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the backdoor Trojan may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the backdoor Trojan has been removed the computer is now secure. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read "When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 cb2

cb2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

I think I just read in this thread the answer to something I've been wondering about. Will an updated antivirus program and updated antispyware programs detect a keylogger. From the postings here, the answer is yes...correct?

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

I can't tell you that ALL updated virus and malware scanners will detect keyloggers, but I do know that SuperAntiSpyware will.

You could also use KL-Dectector to scan for keyloggers.

http://dewasoft.com/privacy/kldetector.htm

#6 igkovacs

igkovacs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

Once my computer was hijacked too. I totally lost control of it whenever I connected to the internet. I also get an info on screen, said my computer is in remote controlled all my data is in danger. All virus check software was blocked, even task manager could not be opened. Only reformat and reinstall solved my problem. Fortunately my data was backed up.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

I recently had my bank details scammed online,it started when someone took 1 out of my current account and opened a web saver account with it in my name, we had to open another account and close that one,it was a pain because all direct debits had to be notified all pensions paid in had to be notified.
anyway,we got all that sorted and I tried to get my banking details online and found I could not access the page,on ringing the bank up I was informed that someone the day before had change my password,I am now waiting for another password to be sent to my home address.
How can anyone get details like that frm my PC is there a virus or worm or anything like that that could collect my info. ?

by infecting you; as asked, when did you last run all your protection programs and what are they? do you have any reports from any of the scans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users