Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tracy-iow

tracy-iow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

I have a dell optiplex gx 620. My son wanted to be able to play games on it so i found out what graphic card i needed which was a GeForce 8500 GT PCI-E. I bought one and got someone to put it in the pc for me as i don't know anything about it all. However,the card was too big to fit in the machine.

I rang dell and asked their advice and they said i would need either a half height graphic card or a riser cage but they don't sell them.

I have searched the net but have not been able to find anything. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Tracy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

I found a riser card HERE, unfortunately I could not find a company from the UK. I think this will work for you but I'm not positive.
Good Luck! :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if even a riser card would work. My schools full of Optiplex's and there's not much room, see if you could fit the card in horinzontaly before buying a riser card.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Also search for "low profile" video cards. Might just be easier to get a different case
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

if the card is too big for the case, how would making it stick out even more help the situation?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

if the card is too big for the case, how would making it stick out even more help the situation?

I assume you're referring to the riser card post. They make right angle riser bus cards
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:15 PM

ok, didn't think about it that way, like it basically lays flat in there?

but yea getting another case might be a better option. there's a lot of nice cases on newegg with free shipping right now. was just shoppin for myself the other day :thumbsup:

assuming you can talk the person that put your card in into doing it for ya, quite a bit more work.

#8 tracy-iow

tracy-iow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I have had a look at the low profile cards and think i may just get one of those.

Tracy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users