Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can A Hp Printer Crash My System Or Corrupt Bios?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

I have had a maxdata pc for 1 year, never had any problems, untill I installed a HP printer, which I am not saying is the cause of the problem, but could it be possible?

Ever since I installed the HP Printer, on the same system as a canon all in one (mp 600), I have had to deal with random reboots, and it got to the stage where my computer wouldn't turn on.

A tech guy took away the pc, said the motherboard was the cause, yet 3 days later, the pc with the new motherboard has just turned itself off, but before that happened, it was crashing and I was seeing a black screen, with scrambled text and blue boxes.

I am feeling angry, because I have just paid money to get a tech guy to fix my pc, but replacing the motherboard has not worked.

I have reformatted windows (twice) to rule out any software issues.

I did notice that when the pc first loads (before windows) and it lists what drives are on the PC, i see mention of HP? why is that listed alongside all the usb drives? because it has a memory card reader?

What the hell can I do to find out what is wrong with my pc? as I am not going to pay any more cash to a tech guy, I need to solve this myself or buy a new computer, and I don't want to purchase a new computer and use a HP printer, if that is doing any damage (is that even possible?

If any expert, could offer me any help or ways to start trying to diagnose the problems, then that would be awesome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

HP installs more than a driver...it has a bundle of software installed when people run those installation disks.

There could be conflicts, there could be corruption...on any of those programs/subroutines.

I'd try to get some clues from Event Viewer, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Hi there Louis - I always do custom install, and only installed the software which was necessary, what I need to know, is there anyway, a HP printer (all in one, memory card reader) could corrupt the BIOS?

I have looked in the event viewer, and there doesn't seem to be any clues at all.

Just to sum this up.

1. System randomly turns off

2. 2 days after random reboots, the system won't boat, and the power off button doesn't work.

3. Tech guy takes away PC, and says it was a faulty mother board, and installs new board, and i receive computer back.

4. I reformat windows, install all software, printers (HP & Canon), test everything, all working fine.

5. 2 days later, i walk upstairs, find the pc has a black screen, with blue boxes Posted Image

6. Today, while using the PC, i get the same black screen, reboot pc, and start to backup all data to external hard drive.

7. While backing up data, pc turns off and reboots.

8. I have since been able to back up all data, run windows memory test and in the process of running memtest86x.

Considering my motherboard has been replaced, what would be the next steps to solve this, as this can't be software related, as I have reformatted the PC, the fans are working fine, memory has passed memory tests, all usb hubs are working - what would you suggest?

Edited by Franky-99, 20 April 2008 - 10:21 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

I would suspect/try to eliminate...CMOS battery, power supply. CMOS battery is easy...PS is not so easy, but can be done. From what I read, I'm currently more inclined to believe it's a PS problem (but I've been wrong many times) :thumbsup:.

And, again, I would look in Event Viewer for errors for any hardware item/driver. Especially so, since you seem to get BSODs which should come with error messages/data.

I guess that I'm wondering why you seem to be trying to pinpoint the BIOS as being at fault.

One thing I will mention...anytime you get a hard shut-off like it seems you do, you should immediately (upon reboot) run chkdsk /r on the C: partition. It make life easier for the system's abilities to deal with files.

Louis

#5 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

Louis - I have looked through the event viewer and nothing is striking me, what type of error should I be looking for?

The only reason I mentioned the BIOS, is because when the tech guy first tried to pinpoint the problem, he said he couldn't access the BIOS.

So far, I have ruled out the hard drive, fans, motherboard (its been replaced) which leaves the CMOS battery & power supply?

That black screen I see, why is the text all scrambled & distorted, you any idea what would cause that?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

No it won't corrupt the BIOS. When you remove all printers, USB hubs, external drives, does it work? If yes, add things back one at a time. If your display is still funky, try re-seating the video card, if you have one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for that - I knew i was just being slightly paranoid, as ever since that HP printer has been near the computer, I have had problem after problem.

I am not sure what to do now, as even after having the motherboard replaced, and reformatting windows, my system is rebooting, random crashes, freezes, illegal operation messages, black screen of death, normally I can solve any issues which are software based, or related to the ram, but this is out of my skill range, and disappointed the tech guy never done proper tests, as i think he just assumed it was the motherboard.

As louis has mentioned, I have to rule out the Power Supply, which is quite cheap to replace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users