Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software That Came With Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 not_anyone

not_anyone

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:52 AM

I got a new laptop had windows xp pro on it. I have run into a couple of programs that ask me to register. They don't say anything about costing anything so do I take for granted they are free. They are: cyberlink dvd suite: powerdirector: label print: power2go. what should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:57 AM

Unless you have the information, code, to register these they could be a sales routine. Try it and see what happens.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

This is what is called Bloatware. It comes bundled with new computers. It is often stripped down versions of certain software. Much of it you don't need and might not even use. You can also find better replacements HERE
It should also be noted that many of the pre-installed applications are set to run at startup, which you probably don't need and is slowing your computer down somewhat

Edited by garmanma, 20 April 2008 - 04:19 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

garmanma is right. Normally, these aren't required and only take up space in your hard drive.
If you want to get rid of anything try PC Decrapifier; it scans your computer for bloatware and unnecessary startup entries and will delete/uninstall it if you don't want it.
Link to the page here.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users