Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen With Blue Boxes (unreadable Text)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:16 AM

Hi there,

Last week we had our motherboard replaced, and everything appeared to be fine, I done a reformat of windows and got my pc back to normal.

However, yesterday, I walked upstairs, and found the monitor showing a black screen, with blue boxes, which looks like messed up text (have attached a photo)

One other problem I had, is that the boot.ini was pointing to a windows installation which no longer existed, so at start up i had two boot options, but I have now fixed that by updating the boot.ini via msconfig.

Could these problems have been related?

Looking at that photo, has anyone had this happen to them?

Could this be related to the new motherboard being faulty?

Attached Files

Edited by Franky-99, 20 April 2008 - 08:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

What is the make and model of the PC?
Msconfig is a troubleshooting tool and should not be used for permanent fixes
To fix the MBR run FIXMBR
http://pcsupport.about.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 TechCow

TechCow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Based on what I see in the picture a lot of the time this is a memory or video card issue. What was the reason the original board was replaced? When the board was replaced was the memory confirmed in working condition also? If you have not tested the memory yet I would recommend doing so. There is a good guide that will walk you through it here:

http://www.cpusolutions.com/html/TechCenter/memory.htm

Also do you know if the video card is confirmed in working condition? A lot of the time the video card and memory work closely together so thatís why I am wondering about these two parts.

One other thing you could try would be to install the memory into a different slot to rule out if it is an issue with one of the memory slots on the new board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users