Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Boot Annoyance

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gtoguy3

gtoguy3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

This is not a serious problem. More of an annoyance. I shut my machine off every time I'm done for the day. I have a DELL 4700 3 ghz system which has never failed in 4or 5 years. About 50% of the time when I boot, it freezes just before the login screen. I hit control, alt, delete and it continues with no problem. The other 50% it boots sort of normally and does NOT freeze. It also stops with a message screen saying 'UNABLE TO LOG YOU IN BECAUSE OF AN ACCOUNT RESTRICTION'. Remember how Windows NT was set up to do that ? Anyway, I say OK, and it continues on normally to my Login screen. I have no password, so I just click on my icon and all is well. My login name is the 'administrator' and has full administrator rights. This does not really bother me, but I'm curious to know if anyone knows why this is happening, and only HALF the time I turn the system on. I have Avast, ZoneAlarm, and various free anti-spyware and utilities on the machine. The system works fine when it's up and on line. Thanks for any suggestions. GTOGUY3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

If this problem is a recent one, like within the last month, you could try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

You might want to look in the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at these times.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users