Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Files Are Okay To Delete?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ill_Nino

ill_Nino

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

I was just looking through my files, and I noticed I have a wider variety of "tmp" files... are these fine to delete? I was once told to not really play around with this folder (Local Settings\Temp).

But this isn't the first time I have a variety of files here. What can I do to minimize the amount of files that are here, and which should I never play around with?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:28 AM

I was just looking through my files, and I noticed I have a wider variety of "tmp" files... are these fine to delete? I was once told to not really play around with this folder (Local Settings\Temp).

You haven't said which operating system you are using. Win9x / ME store there's in Windows\Temp not Local Settings\Temp. So have you posted in the wrong forum?

Yes you can delete all files and folders in Windows\Temp. In fact I delete these when Windows first starts up. I have an extra line in my Autoexec.bat. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

You already know a few things I'm going to mention.

TEMP FILES. There are 2 files containing temps. One is temporary internet files, the other is the temp files. Temp files are created when certain programs are run or installed. (Windows is SUPPOSED to delete these files automatically but it often misses LOTS and these files, if left behind, can cause many problems with your computer.) Temp files should be deleted when the application using them closes, but many times they are not. Over time, the files build up, take up drive space and can affect your computers performance. These temp files are safe to delete. However, they do not automatically show up on your computer. They are in a part of the hidden files and you must configure Windows Explorer in order to see them.

To enable hidden files to show click on My Computer Icon. At the top of the page, Tools/Folder Options/View. Scroll down and check show hidden files and folder, apply, then ok.

To view them, you must open up Drive C, then documents and settings. If you have more than one user account on your computer, click the name of the account to open it, Documents and Settings/Local Settings/Temp

Hit ctrl+a to select them all, then hit your delete key. If it won't delete some of them, that's because they are attached to some program running in the background, so you may have to delete them one at a time. If one or two won't delete, they will probably delete when you reboot next, so don't worry about them.

#4 ill_Nino

ill_Nino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:19 AM

I run Windows XP SP2.

Okay, I am talking about the program files, apparently, they also appear when I "unzip" a file? Okay, so just manually deleting them is fine?

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:19 AM

I run Windows XP SP2.

Okay, I am talking about the program files, apparently, they also appear when I "unzip" a file? Okay, so just manually deleting them is fine?

Ok then you've posted in the wrong forum which I've said, there is a serperate XP forum.

When you unzip files you can choose which folder you want to unzip them too. They don't have to be in Program Files just create a new folder on your main drive Zipped or what ever name you want to use. If you don't want these files then you can delete then or burn them to a CD for future use. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users