Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

printer problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 newyorkbuff

newyorkbuff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:00 AM

I am running windows xp and I must have removed some printer regs when removing spyware. When I try to print, the computer does not recognize any printer and when I try to add one it can not find the file to do so. How can I reinstall the printer values to either add a new printer or to manually load the printer drivers. Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:45 AM

Hi newyorkbuff,

What type of printer is it? You can probably go to the manufacturers site and download the drivers for XP. If you have any concerns about spyware still being on your computer, you can also post a HJT log.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 newyorkbuff

newyorkbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

I do not have a problem with the printer drivers, it is with XP and not being able to load any drivers. When I am prompted to add a printer, I get a message that the operation could not be completed. I think I deleted something that allows printer drivers and I just need to know how to reload them

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:08 PM

Can you give me the exact message you are getting? We will go from there and find out how to fix it.

Thanks

Rigel

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 newyorkbuff

newyorkbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:28 PM

When I try to print, a prompt comes up to add a printer. When I select to add a printer, a propmpt comes up that says operation could not be completed. I have gone into computer management to turn on the printer spool and I get a message that the file could not be found. The path to the executable is C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe, which does not show up in the system32 folder

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:39 PM

Here is your file, in zipped format. Click the link and save it, and then unzip it to the C:\windows\system32 folder.

http://www.geocities.com/rigelslight/spoolsv.zip

Hope this works for you. This is for Windows XP Pro. I don't have XP Home.

Good luck

Rigel

#7 newyorkbuff

newyorkbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for your help, but I have xp home and I get a message of "procedure entry point I_RpcSessionStrictContextHandle could not be located in the dynamic link library RPCRT4.dll" I am not sure if this is because you have xp pro or not. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

#8 newyorkbuff

newyorkbuff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:28 PM

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

Sorry about the delay. I have been searching for a copy of spoolsv.exe for XP home. I have also asked for other help too... let you know something as soon as I can.

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

http://www.geocities.com/rigelslight/spoolsv.zip

Try it again. This file came from a XP home computer. I hope it works.

Good luck

Rigel

#11 marocballistic

marocballistic

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:37 PM

re-install the printer, make sure all aspects have been removed first from hard drive, use add/remove in control panel and also device manger also in control panel, then reboot install again, go to companies website update drivers reboot again and then hey presto has it worked???

Hope so ill check for ya reply

All the best

Marco

#12 am's

am's

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:34 AM

hey, i have the same problem and i also downloaded that file posted for xp home and it didnt work. i get an error message saying that it could not be found in the library rpcrt4.dll. can someone help me, please????

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:40 AM

Assuming you are certain all malware is removed from your computer and the System Restore date existed before the malware infection occurred,

If you have a system restore date from before you started having the problem, use it.

If not,

Perform a Repair Installation
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 December 2005 - 12:47 AM.

#14 am's

am's

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:54 PM

what can i do if i can't do a system restore because its not working, and i have been trying to fix it but i couldn't. I also dont have my windows xp cd because when i bought the computer it came with all the programs in it, and they didnt give me a cd. i dont know what to do. i also tryed to do cmd , it didnt work. basically i dont have the spooler in my computer, i also tryed the above and it didnt work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users