Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware On Machine. Most Websites Inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nick1000

Nick1000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:23 AM

Hi,

Here is the problem description:

1. Was unable to access most of the websites through IE and Firefox. Though lot of the Indian websites worked (I am based in India). For example, I could reach http://www.google.co.in but firing any search did not work. Similarly some other sites also were accessible.
2. The problem was not seen in Netscape.
3. There were sudden pop-ups in IE warning of virus and then leading to some arbitrary sites.

Machine Configuration: Windows XP, SP2. IE 7.0.

Current Situation:
Following few messages in the forums here, I installed Combofix, Hijackthis and Windows Restore Console. Ran the Combofix and it seems to have resolved the problem. The message suggested to still get the logs scanned by an expert and hence I create this message here. The Hijackthis log is attached and can later attach Combofix log if requested.

Thanks for the help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hello Nick1000

Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:
========================
If you are still in need of assistance please post a new Hijackthis log.
Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users