Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot - Xp, Vista, Mac Os X

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

Hi,

(I'm not sure if this topic is allowed, as it involves some "mods" of software, if not allowed, my apologies in advance.)

I want to install and run Mac OS X on my PC, along with (not at same time of course) windows XP and Vista.

I should be able to run Mac OS on my PC, as my processor supports SSE3.
System: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, ASUS M2AVM motherboard, 2GB ram, 250GB SATA II HD

Is it possible to setup Mac OS X on my computer (eg. install onto a new, blank partition) without wiping my HD? Maybe following this guide? http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2461/os_x_t...r_chain0_method

Thanks again, and once again, sry if this topic is not allowed.

edit: Whoops, i meant triple boot in the title.

Edited by funnytim, 20 April 2008 - 02:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

XP and Vista with a few problems as it can prevent vista from booting (fixes for that) but Mac OS X on a PC that is not possible Mac's and PC's are different unless you buy a Mac then if you had a spare hard drive you could use boot camp to install Vista and XP on the Mac. But it could be possible if you knew everything about computers like how this person installed mac 9 Classic on his windows XP but he would not say how he did it maybe it was a hoax?

Edited by Dialga, 20 April 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

..well first, I can run mac OS 9 on my XP... thru an emulator.

and i'm pretty sure it IS possible to run Mac OS X on a pc....i found a lot of vids of this.. as well as the step by step tutorial i mentioned above.

Of course I have some questions about it, which is why i'm posting here.

...You said it's not possible...then it "could be possible"?

Btw, I already have XP and Vista installed...dual booting.. and so far no problems w/ it.

Edited by funnytim, 20 April 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#4 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:42 PM

yea but i mean dual booting XP on a current vista OS i know i can destroy somthing needed for booting up and yes there are a few emulators around

Edited by Dialga, 20 April 2008 - 11:43 PM.

#5 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:24 AM

O ic

misunderstanding on my part..

#6 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:27 AM

So...any one else got help for me?? :huh:

#7 Papa10Speed

Papa10Speed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Not exactly a reply as a, well, extension of the question? I currently have a computer with a 300Gb HD (SATA) with XP as the OS. My son-in-law, becuse of problems with the MSI motherboard not recognizing the SATA HD after an update of BIOS and drivers, is sending me an ACER Aspire T180 which has a 160Gb HD (SATA) with Vista Home Basic as the OS. I want to keep the 300Gb since is has a great deal of information and data I use/need on a regular basis. It is SATA and the interface of the Aspire is also SATA. However, it's the OS situation that concerns me.

Is there a way to run BOTH HDs on the same computer, one with XP Home and the other with Vista Home Basic? If so, how? What is needed? Where do I get it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I just registered and didn't take time to review ALL the topics and posts, but this one came closest to my situation. Well, sort of.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!! Either post and I'll check, or e-mail me awschwinn@yahoo.com.

#8 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Well you're supposed to start your own topic...but I think I can help you with yours.

Technically, I think you have to install to that HD using the same computer...don't think you can move HDs and expect the OSes to work.

But if you want to try:
I'd think you can just plug in your HD.... then you'd have to set it as "active" in XP Disk Management..

After that, modify Vista's bootloader...use EasyBCD: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Here's a guide http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_wi...screenshots.htm

#9 Papa10Speed

Papa10Speed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:58 AM

Sorry about the breach of protocol. Even with that, I thank you very much for the information and the links/sites. I hope to make good use of them soon.

#10 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

Back to the original topic....no one has done triple booting w/ Mac OS X here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users