Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Pages Not Displaying/ Ff & Ie

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 confuzled

confuzled

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

About 3 days ago I started having trouble connecting to certain sites. I either get a page not displayed message due to timing out, or it takes 2-5 mins to load a page. I first noticed this with login.yahoo.com. The log pages to Yahoo don't style or show images.. and take 5 mins to even see any text. Yet I have no problem bringing up Yahoo.com.

Some sites I have problems with :
-Either cant load at all, or take several mins to load(random here.. just listing examples- most from my rounds of trying to make sure my system was clean)
Login.yahoo.com
lavasoftusa.com
Download.com
Amazon.com
Ebay.com
Many of the help forums are loading crazy slow as well (including bleeping)

I have no problem with sites like:
Google.com
yahoo.com
~ all government sites I've tried are fine
~my banking site was fine too
flickr.com

I'm also having issues downloading some things. (For example I cannot download from java.com.. it turns into a cannot display web page) Many of the cleaning software mentioned below too multiple attempts and alternate sites to get them onto my machine.

I also noticed that my AVG is not updating.. it can't seem to connect to the internet. Don't know if this is related or not.

Things done to resolve this:
  • Turned off Firewall to verify this isnt blocking anything
  • Tested cable/ISP -verified all connects are fine and fast
  • Ran AVG scan
  • Ran Spybot
  • Ran Ccleaner
  • Ran CWshredder
  • Ran SuperantiSpyware
  • Ran Adaware
  • Ran winsockxpfix
  • Ran Combofix
  • Reset FF and IE to defaults and checked secure settings
I'm at my wits end.. I havent made any changes/downloads that I am aware of in the past several days.. so I just don't know whats going on here! No major issues going on with those cleaning programs I ran.....

I use Firefox as my default browser but this is happening in both IE and FF. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Default browser: Firefox 2.0.0.14 back up IE 7.0.5730.11

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Hi and welcome confuzled,

You have already done many thing. I guess you have done this one also, but mention it anyway:

1. Empty IE and FF cache and cookies.

2. Under privacy tab click on Sites button, then click on Remove all and then OK to clear all the restricted sites. (If you use SpywareBlaster you have to re-enable it again to add the bad sites restriction again).

Try this or tell me if you have tried it already.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hello confuzled,

When a computer seems to be slow, a good place to start is Slow Computer? Use this troubleshooting checklist and Slow Computer/Browser?

Check here first; it may not be malware
. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 confuzled

confuzled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

Hey Farbar, thanks for the suggestion.. Yep completed that.

Tmack, - for good faith measures.. (at this point Im at my wits end) I'm running thru all the suggestions in those links you've provided. Thank you.

The issue specifically is I cannot access seemingly random sites.. or they take so long to load that they time out. Computer is otherwise running dandy. Although I did take some time as I am going thru the other suggestions to clean her up a bit and defrag etc..

My ISP says they're not the issue here..but to be honest based on how many things I tried over the last 3 days, I think it's time to borrow a laptop and test this on another computer.
(see if the issue still exists)

Im having some one assist me with a Hijackthis log and the Logs on the above scans.. I think I'll wait to see what the end result is there before trying anything else.

Edited by confuzled, 21 April 2008 - 10:14 AM.

#5 confuzled

confuzled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

{EDIT} Just reading this post.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142866/iefirefox-cannot-connect-to-any-websites-everything-else-works/ .. I too recently did a FF update.. wonder if there is a connection??

Ok results are in.. My machine is clean..(XP tweaks.com was helping me read my logs)

Any more ideas here?

Still havent figured out what the link is between the types of sites I'm being blocked from is...(sites either time out or take 5 mins to load). There has to be some sort of common ground of the sites I'm having trouble with.. but I havent a clue what it is

Examples again of sites I cannot access properly: Some never load others take 5 mins to load
login.yahoo.com
amazon.com
ebay.com
capitalone.com (credit card site)
can't download from java.com (had to update java from major geeks site)
dl.ed.gov (student loan site)
technet.microsoft.com
jayloden.com
forum.tweaks.com

Can access:
Yahoo.com
Google.com
runescape.com (gaming site)
firstnational.com (credit card site)
ed.gov (department of education)
bleepingcomputers.com

Have read and completed as much as I could of Tmacks listed above.. in addition here is my log if items completed: ( in no particular order, as I mentioned was having help reading logs etc over the past days)

Disk Clean up
Disc Defrag
Clean computer inside
Cleaned up hard drive
startup is cleaned to minimum
CHKDSK

removed all old java, installed 6u6 (latest version)
Kaspersky WebScanner
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan
CCleaner
Combofix
TCPIP_Fix
CMD --> NETSH WINSOCK RESET, IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS, IPCONFIG /RENEW, NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG
OTMoveIt
Safe Mode with Networking (no better than normal boot)
Ad-Aware 2007:
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5:
CWShredder 2.19
McAfee Avert Stinger
WinSock XP Fix
SpywareBlaster 4.0
Windows Updates
Uniinstalled reinstalled both AVG and Sunbelt Firewall

Edited by confuzled, 21 April 2008 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,725 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

You have done many things how about trying this one too: There is a utility called Dial-a-fix, it removes restrictions and returns Windows to its default settings. It does no harm even if it did not help.

Download Dial-a-fix from Majorgeeks or djlizard.net

To remove restrictions:
Doubleclick Dial-a-fix-versions.exe to start the program.
Immediately a window will open with on top: "Dial-A-fix : Restrictive policies"
You'll see registry keys.
Check them all and click the remove button below.
Then click close. This should close the policies window.
Then click exit in the main window under it, because we don't need anything from there.

REBOOT your computer afterwards, important.

#7 confuzled

confuzled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

Ran the DAF utility.. Removed restrictives.. still no go. :thumbsup:

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,725 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

You got assistant with HJT log. No bad 01 or 017 entries ?

You can try this one too as my last idea at the moment. I am not sure if it helps but does no harm:

Go to Start > Run and type in Run box: sfc /scannow

It launches Windows File Protection. It may takes a while (usually around 20 min)to check the integrity of Windows system files and if needed replaces them. You may need your Windows installation CD.

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

If you are still having problems:

Configure TCP/IP to use DNS. Go to Start / Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.Write down the settings in case you should need to change them back.
Select the radio button that says Obtain DNS servers automatically.
Click Okay twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

CAUTION: It is possible that your Internet Service Provider requires specific settings here. Make sure you know if you need specific DNS settings here or not before you make these changes or you may lose your internet connection. If you are sure you do not need a specific DNS address, you may proceed.

Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Firefox,
Go Tools/ Options/ Advanced/ click on the Network Tab, then click Settings.
Select the radio button that says Auto Detect Proxy Settings for all this Network.
Click Okay

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings.
Click Okay twice.

If no joy, here are more troubleshooting ideas: Error message in Internet Explorer 7: "Internet Explorer cannot display the Webpage".
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 confuzled

confuzled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

Edit-- Issue is resolved.. Finally got ahold of Tech at my ISP that spent some time trouble shooting with me.. and lo and behold it was the Modem!!!

Thanks for all your time.

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,725 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Glad you sorted it out and thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users