Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spyware problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:45 AM

Hello, I am a new poster and I am really having some major trouble with Spyware/Malware/Adware.

Here are the current problems that none (I mean NONE) of the antispyware software programs I have downloaded or purchased have been able to fix.
-My start page on my internet explorer has been changed. It changes the current page to a search site with (get this) antispyware as the most popular search, and “spyware removal” is already entered into the search box.
-A blank window randomly and annoyingly pops up a lot. The name of the window is “sixty six”
-Also, every antispyware program I have says that I have a coolwwwsearch (or something like it) spyware on my computer, but NONE of them are able to get rid of it.

A list of my antispyware programs (excessive?)

-Spybot-Search and Destroy
-Microsoft Antispyware
-Ad-Aware
-CWShredder
-CCleaner
-Tune Up utilites (30 day trial version)
-Norton Antivirus
-I also have Microsoft Windows XP and have downloaded service pack 2 and have automatic updates enabled. My Windows firewall and my SBC Dsl 2 Wire modem firewall are both running.

P.S.
I don’t know if this problem is related, but my AutoPlay doesn’t work any more. There is an error that is called gcasDtServ.exe that is displayed when I try to take out the disk, and I have the options of Cancel, Try Again, and Continue.

Thanks Everyone- If I posted this message in an the wrong forum, tell me where i should post my questions.

//Mod edit: I've moved your post to the proper forum, where it will get the attention it deserves.

Edited by KoanYorel, 25 March 2005 - 12:59 AM.

"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:27 AM

Hi ryan_w_quick, most of your problems are beyond me but it looks like they have a removal tool for CoolWWWsearch right here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/Smartkiller.php

:thumbsup:

(Remember to turn off system restore if you have WinME or XP, and run the removal tool(s) in Safe Mode)

Edited by Rimmer, 25 March 2005 - 01:53 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:14 AM

how do you turn off system restore and run in safe mode. sorry if this is ignorant.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#4 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:29 AM

Hey, it turns out that the gcasDtServ.exe that was blocking my auto play and keeping me from running some of my programs all togeter (like Warcraft and Starcraft), was a part of the Microsoft Antispyware Beta 1 that is on my computer. I just found that out by running a search. So, I opened the task manager and and terminated the gcasDtServ.exe, and BAM! The autoplay worked again. Why would Microsoft Antispyware Beta 1 keep me from autoplaying starcraft and warcraft, when it had been letting me play age of empires and fallout 2. Please, tell me if I should remove this anti spyware program, i have several others that do not cause this same problem.

I am still having the internet explorer start page trouble and the "sixty six" trouble though, so those aren't fixed.

Thanx everybody

#5 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:37 AM

If you have CoolWWWSearch go to the HiJackThis forum

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Logs_and_Analysis-f22.html

and follow the instructions for obtaining HiJackThis and posting a log for help.

Edited by Supermart57, 25 March 2005 - 04:45 AM.

I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:55 AM

how do you turn off system restore and run in safe mode

IF you have XP find 'My Computer', right click and select 'Properties' to get system properties up. There is a 'System Restore' tab. Open that and tick the box for 'turn off System Restore' and click OK. Repeat and untick the box when you have cleaned out all the spyware.

To start in safe mode, click 'Start', 'Turn off Computer', 'Restart'. When the screen goes black start tapping the F8 key until a boot menu comes up - one option will be 'Safe Mode'.

If you have winME see the 'help and support' files.

Edited by Rimmer, 25 March 2005 - 05:59 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hi Rimmer,
First of all I have to strongly disagree about turning off System Restore just yet. You may need that to fall back on.

Your best bet is to do as Supermart57 has suggested and post a HijackThis log for us to look at. We have trained exerts that you can trust to guide you thru everything you need to do to get rid of this thing, including when to turn off System Restore. Be advised that it won't be real easy, but we make it as simple as possible.

Here is the speech I give to everyone who should post a log:

We need to see a HijackThis log in order to help you get that junk off your system and whatever else that doesn't need to be there.  Please do this:

Click on the link below and follow the steps in that tutorial so you can get a log posted:
How to post a HijackThis Log

You can of course skip step 1.  But be sure to follow all the other steps and use the links in the tutorial to:

1.  Download the self-extracting HijackThis.
2.  Open the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum to start a new Topic in that forum.  It is important that you post your log into a new topic in that forum.  If you have any problems here is a link again:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?act=SF&s=&f=22

It may be a day or two before you get an answer.  But it is also important that you not post again to the topic you started asking for help or wondering if you will get help or otherwise "bumping" your thread/topic.  In order to work on a first come-first served basis, helpers look for the oldest topics with zero replies.

BUT, once you receive a reply, stay in the topic that you have started.  Do not start another thread.

Thanks and see you in the forum. :thumbsup:

Edited by Papakid, 25 March 2005 - 11:04 AM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

Ok, I'm outranked.
ryan_w_quick please ignore my incorrect advice. See post above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users