Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Connor!

Connor!

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hi

My computer has been unexpectedly restarting itself recently. It will sometimes do this when you are on doing normal things like on the internet. Other times it will restart when I Log off my file or Shut it down.

My temperatures are:-
Temperatures
Motherboard 36 C (97 F)
CPU 60 C (140 F)
GPU 39 C (102 F)
GPU Memory 38 C (100 F)
SAMSUNG SP1203N 27 C (81 F)

The Description in Event Viewer of the last shutdown gave this information.

The server {222F1C6D-F430-4B76-B3F1-1FE92E214AD3} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Thanks, Hope you can Help.

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 19 April 2008 - 06:55 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Shaba! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

Are you using Perfect Disk? I believe that registry key mentioned points to Perfect Disk.

Louis

#3 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

I never heard of PefectDisk, after searching it on google I found it is a Defrag tool? The only Defrag tool I've used is JK Defrag and the windows Xp one.

Connor
Posted Image

#4 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I have just discovered my CPU fan isn't working. I had never switched my computer on while the cover was off before as I thought the computer detected and displayed any problems with fans, obviously not. I gave it a few spins and it started again, thought not as smooth as it should be. I've ordered another one, if there's any more problems I'll post again but I think this is what has been causing me my problems

Thanks

Connor
Posted Image

#5 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

Ok, Sorry for Tripple posting this time but I think my problems have nothing to do with the fans. A few of my programs have just closed themselves with no warning, my computer has restarted itself several times with no warning, and the thing that is worryinh me if the message it reads when it reboots. Before it goes onto the User selection screen a message appears saying something like Checking C: NFTS Windows needs to check your disk drive consistency or something along those lines, I do not let it run and I skit it but could you please tell me what it is trying to do?

Thanks, Could someone reply A.S.A.P, not meaning to sound rude but I'm worried incase my computer gets worse.

Connor
Posted Image

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

its running scandisk. trying to figure out and fix whatever files got screwed up by not shutting down right. let it run

#7 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

I ran it, and it did it's steps (3/3) then afterwards my computer restarted, not sure if this was meant to happen or not. On startup, it went straight to login screen. I'll let you know if there's any more problems.
Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

I'd replace that CPU fan right away.

Although 60 degrees is not over the limit, it's getting quite close to the CPU max operating, IMO.

And...it sounds like your shutdowns/reboots are the result of possible overheating...it's worth eliminating that from contention when things go wrong.

Louis

#9 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

It restarted again. When I get round to changing the CPU fan, does it just Unclip from the CPU or what?

Thanks
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hmmm...system manufacturer and model? If custom-built, CPU installed?

Are you comfortable changing or upgrading system components?

I would generally install a new heatsink/fan (they come in combination or as separates)...but let's wait for more info.

FYI: http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.co...stallation.html

Louis

#11 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

Hi, It's quite an old PC, so I suppose you would expect problems. Only upgraded thing is Memory.
I don't mind changing components, I'm thinking of trying to build a computer this year so doing this would help me then aswell.

Conputer was built by Multivision Computers, they went bust several years ago I think.

CPUID Manufacturer AuthenticAMD
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon™ XP 2200+

Thanks

I've also heard that replacing fans on Athlon CPU's is harder than others, is this true?
Posted Image

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,858 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

I have an XP 2200 in this system :thumbsup:, replacing the fan/heatsink is not hard, IMO.

Like anything else...the first time, it all seems strange...until it's done.

Most fan/heatsink combos which I've purchased...come with detailed instructions with graphics. You want a socket A fan/heatsink, such as

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835114013

I'm sure this is mentioned...but be sure to also get some thermal paste for the new application. The heatsink probably comes with a pad on the bottom which is thermal paste and I find these to be adequate...but, if not, you will need thermal paste.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835100014

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2008 - 11:19 AM.

#13 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

Hi

What different models are suitable for my CPU?

Can you explain briefly what the heatsink is, I get it roughly but just to be sure.
What is thermal paste, and what is its use?

Is it necessary/recomended to get Heatsink/fan combo or just a fan?

Thanks
Connor

My temperature of my CPU now is 56 , what is normal for my model?
Posted Image

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

You need a "Socket A" heatsink. It's best to look for a heatsink fan combo. As Louis said it is best to replace this soon and not run the computer until you do. After that is done you can see what other problems arise.
When replacing a heatsink you must clean off the CPU and use fresh thermal compound. The compound fills irregularities on the surfaces and helps in the transfer of heat away from the CPU
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 Connor!

Connor!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hi

Thanks hamluis and garmanma for your advice, I will order a new heatsink fan combo. I will let you know if there are any problems after I fit it.

Thanks again - Connor
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users