Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stubborn Program Removal Trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 allthrottle

allthrottle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

First off, Hi! :flowers: I found this site in a Google search a few minutes ago and registered.

Now to my problem :thumbsup: ...

I borrowed the game disk Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas from a friend. He gave it to me on a normal dvd-rw disk with a few other programs needed to run the game without using a disk. Even though it wasn't the original disk, I was pretty confident he wouldn't give me some virus infected disk. I load it all up and install, the game runs fine, but I was having trouble getting it to control how I liked on my laptop with the xbox 360 controller hooked up, so I decided to uninstall to free up space.

I uninstall Gta, and uninstall the magic iso disk program used to run it, then notice the program file is still in my "Program Files" folder. I click delete and get a message saying "file in use, cannot complete operation" etc. So I go through various steps to uninstall and/or stop the program from running in the last month. Killed all processes while attempting to uninstall in the command prompt, started in safe mode and attempted the same steps. The magic iso would keep reinstalling itself as a new dvd drive after uninstallation, so I removed it from the allow list in windows defender which prevented it from starting back up.

I've tried every program I could find to stop the process, remove the file, delete after reboot, unlock etc... None have come even close to working. I would've already done a backup/restore, but there isn't one on the laptop, and it did not include a disk for it. Anyone have an ideas on what I can do next to get this program removed?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

Welcome to BC
Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility If it's listed in there, check the box next to it and run it and see if that helps. There are also some uninstall utilities listed Here that you can try
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

Sounds like you mounted an image of the game disk as a virtual drive, you would have to unload that image/virtual drive and then uninstall the program? magicdrive/magic iso?

Is there anything still showing in my computer?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 allthrottle

allthrottle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the links Garmanma.

I did unmount the image and uninstall both the game and the magiciso. The drive the magiciso was would still show, so I disabled and deleted it as well. Everything just kept coming back!

I'll try a program (or a few) from the list and get back to you.

#5 allthrottle

allthrottle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

Yeah, they all give me the same error when attempting to delete, and do nothing when I choose "Delete on Reboot".

I could take it in to Best Buy with the extended service plan I bought and see if they'd cover it without charge.

#6 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

have you tried Unlocker? http://www.download.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

All you need to do, is install the program, and then after install, you can right click the fle in question and you should see an opion for "unlocker", which will unlock the file and allow you to delete it.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:04 AM

do you have any other programs running like defender that might have interfered with this process

you are going about this the wrong way, there's no reason the image/virtual drive couldn't be unmounted and then you could have rebooted, verified that it was gone from my computer and then uninstalled magiciso

something wasn't done right

you might have to reinstall the program to fix this
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 allthrottle

allthrottle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

It's been a little while, but I wanted to give an update on my situation.

The game is still here :thumbsup: .. I've tried every program I know of to remove it, tried removing in the DOS prompt, tried installing/uninstalling the original program used to mount the ISO, and tried all of the same steps in safe mode.

I don't have a backup disk and forgot to backup the drive when I got the laptop, but I do have a Best Buy accidental replacement warranty plan on it that I may have to cash in on.

Any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users