Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access My Home Network

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gentisle

gentisle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hi All,

I have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop. Both WinXP Home. A netgear router that is configured correctly (done by a professional, not me). Both computers can access the internet and email w/no problem.

Originally, the computers could access each other's My Documents folder. But the desktop hard drive croaked, and I replaced it and managed to restore all the files. I had to run the restore disk, and then copy the old HDD data to the new one.

The laptop had an icon on its desktop that was a folder on a pipe. It was labeled "Desktop Documents". That was how I accessed the files on the desktop computer.

But now, the desktop will not map a drive. When I click My Documents, then the tools menu and Map, the properties box comes up. But the big problem comes when I click on My Network Places, and then on the name of my home network, there's no computers listed. When I do this on the laptop, the only computer listed is the laptop.

After installing and configuring everything (on the desktop), the profile that I installed and configured on the desktop had a lot of problems. So I created another one, and began using it. NO Problems. So I deleted the original profile. I'm wondering if that has killed a lot of things and really messed up the system under the hood so to speak. Anyway, I tried to restore it, but it won't fly. User manager says "account name already in use". Of course this is because I cannot delete C:\Documents and Settings\OldUserName...

I've been looking on the net, and I have found that Simple File Sharing is missing in both computers.

The laptop is a Toshiba w/1GB, 100GB, Pentium M 740, the desktop is Compaq w/512MB, 160GB, Pentium 4 2.4. Both computers are up to date on all the patches and service packs.

Any ideas? Is this going to take a reinstall? Will I have to tear my hair out?

gentisle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users