Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reem

Reem

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

About four days ago I came into my room and found my laptop turned off. I tried turning it back on and it wouldn't. I plugged in the charger and it still wouldn't turn on. I went to Best Buy where I purchased my laptop and asked what was wrong. The guy from 'Geek Squad' told me that the jack inside the computer that I put the charger into was loose and that my battery was probably dead. He then told me I'd probably have to pay around $400 bucks to get it fixed. Money I don't have and thought that was a ridiculous price to pay for something as little as tightening a jack. I then remembered my friends Dad was a computer tech so I had him look at my comp. He opened it up, tightened the jack,and put everything back together. He tested the power supply for the charger and said it was more than enough. He then tested the battery and supposedly it's suppose to read at about 11 and mine read .11. Makes sense because my battery *if using the comp without the charger* dies and turns off within 2 minutes at the most. Anyways, after he put the laptop back together he tried turning it on and it still wouldn't. Here's my question. Is it possible that some laptops won't turn on with just the charger working and the battery being dead? My charger light goes on and it works fine but my comp still won't turn on. Is it just that I need a new battery? I know for my brothers laptop he can take out the battery and just plug in the charger and it works. It's not the same for me though. *I have a Sony Vaio* I don't understand how this would all of a sudden happen.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

You should be able to run the computer without the battery. There may be a problem with the internal power switch. The computer should automatically switch to AC power when you plug it in, and also charge the battery. Your laptop may run of the battery continuously and when you plug it in charges the battery and doesn't switch. Just a shot in the dark others may have more suggestions. I am not sure if replacing the battery will solve your problem.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users