Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I May Have Been Infected How Do I Find Out?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 quinnersmom

quinnersmom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Last night I was on blogger.com and on a friends page. there was a comment from someone I didn't know but it was in a comment about a friends baby that is sick so I thought it was safe to look at the link. Well when I clicked on it ( I am using Firefox ) all these pop ups came up that my computer could become infected and programs could be damaged. I have no specific details as I closed out of everything right away. I know stupid thing to do. Is there a way to check my computer w/o buy programs? Thank you Heather

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

Is there a way to check my computer w/o buy programs

sure is :thumbsup: to start you off can you kindly tell us your windows version, what your installed antivirus program is and what other protection programs you have on board; when did you last fully update and run them all and what if anything did the scans say ??

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

Heather, I would suggest you start by running a complete scan of your harddrive with your resident Anti-Virus application.
Then download, install, and update several of the free Anti-spyware applications found on this list:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I recommend AVG Anti-spyware and SuperAntispyware.

Run all of these and quarantine anything they find. These applications may find the malware you inadvertently downloaded. If not reply back and we can take the next step: submitting a HJT log to our Team of experts for review.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quinnersmom

quinnersmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

I am using windows XP. I have norton 360 and I think the yahoo anti-virus turned on. I did run norton and it showed no problems.

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

I am using windows XP. I have norton 360 and I think the yahoo anti-virus turned on. I did run norton and it showed no problems.

can you please clarify this ?what is the yahoo thing? is it an on- line protection on your internet connection or where?

#6 quinnersmom

quinnersmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Sorry, it was just a pop up blocker, so no other anti-virus. I was trying to go from memory (and thats not good anymore :thumbsup: ). I have started the avg anti-virus download, just waiting for it to download so I can run it.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Sorry, it was just a pop up blocker, so no other anti-virus. I was trying to go from memory (and thats not good anymore :thumbsup: ). I have started the avg anti-virus download, just waiting for it to download so I can run it.

just to check, I hope you mean the avg antispyware ????

#8 quinnersmom

quinnersmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

Ok I ran the anti-spyware and found 211 ad-ware files & 1 trojan.origination unknow. the program deleted those is there more I should try?

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

Ok I ran the anti-spyware and found 211 ad-ware files & 1 trojan.origination unknow. the program deleted those is there more I should try?

have you yet run, as suggested, any more of the spyware removal programs in the link Jgweed( Mod) gave you above?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

#10 quinnersmom

quinnersmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

Nope just super anti spyware. So I should do as any as I can? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users