Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Os Command Prompt Formula?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hi,

Just the question there in the title:

"Anyone know the exact Command Prompt formula to add an OS to startup?"

What ever I put together never works.

I've found: BCDEdit /create {ntldr} /d "Earlier Windows OS Loader" as the general generic formula to add earlier OSs but not the exact formula.

I think: "BCDEdit /create {ntldr} /" is exactly the first part of the command?

I am not sure what is suppose to go in the place of: " /d "Earlier Windows OS Loader" "?

My guesses have been: " /F: /(or\)boot.ini " (representing the partition that the XP OS is on?), or " /C: \boot.ini " (to make an .ini file on the partition with the Vista OS on?).

The second suggestion is the closest thing that I can come up with that I think is right but it doesn't work.

" BCDEdit /create /d "Windows Vista" " is the generic formula for adding Vista. Again I'm not sure what goes in the place of " /d "Windows Vista" ".

So, does anyone know the exact Command Prompt for adding an OS to a Vista startup?

Thanks,

John :huh:

PS I've tried the program from this site that someone offered as a solution but I don't seem to be able to get it to work:

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Edited by Johnz414, 19 April 2008 - 08:40 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:31 PM

OK,

I've gotten Vista Boot Pro to work and it recognizes the 3 OSs on my PC, 2 Vista (which I can access with no problem) and the 1 XP OS (which I can not access).

The XP OS shows up "Red" on the VistaBootPro meaning that something is a miss. The XP also shows on start up but when trying to access it an error shows saying insert the OS dick and run repair. Well, I've done that even and I keep coming up against the administrator's pass word which I don't even think I made one so I can't get access the repair from the OS Instillation disk even.

The boot.ini file seems to be there in the XP program but nothing is working.

So, does anyone know how to make the XP accessible on start up?

Please,

John :huh:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users