Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get Rid Of Two Partitions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joyjg

joyjg

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

I have a PC that is currently setup with two partitions, c and d. I want to get rid of the d partition and have that space added back to the c drive with no partitioning. Currently the d drive has a small amount of data on it that can easily be transferred to a dvd. Can I do this without destroying the current c drive setup, programs etc. Thanks in advance. Joyjg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hi joyjg,

It should be easy. Take a look at this: http://vaioz.com/removepartition.html

Good luck!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Is this D: a recovery partition?

Do you have CDs with your O/S installation on them, along with drivers?

Manufacturer and model of system, please?

Louis

#4 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

The pc is a sony vaio and i am running windows xp home (not professional). The D is not a recovery, the C: has all the programs and the operating system, but is extremely small and running out of space. I do not have cds with the operating system and drivers, Sony only supplies a system recovery disk, which i cannot seem to find. I was hoping that I could either delete the d: and reallocate the space back to the c: or if I cannot delete the d:, at least move some of the unused space to the c: without disrupting the o/s and stuff on the c:. Thanks for the reply. Joyjg

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

I was hoping that I could either delete the d: and reallocate the space back to the c: or if I cannot delete the d:, at least move some of the unused space to the c: without disrupting the o/s and stuff on the c:. Thanks for the reply. Joyjg

Did you read my post? You can doe it. You do it with the disk mangement (start -> right click My Computer, select manage -> Disk management), just read the link. There it is described step by step with the screenshots.

Edited by farbar, 19 April 2008 - 09:59 AM.

#6 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

farbar, I did take a look at that link, but was confused by some references to laptops. Wasn't sure if this pertained to a laptop rather than a desktop. I am also very concerned that I do not lose what is on the C: portion of the drive since I cannot find the recovery disk. I need to backup the C: portion so that I could fully restore from the backup I make without having any system disk since Sony did not provide an xp disk. Thanks, Joyjg

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

I suspect that your D: partition...is a recovery partition of some sort and would not think about deleting it...until I was sure that I could recover without it.

Your system's owner manual should cover this and more.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 April 2008 - 10:40 AM.

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

farbar, I did take a look at that link, but was confused by some references to laptops. Wasn't sure if this pertained to a laptop rather than a desktop. I am also very concerned that I do not lose what is on the C: portion of the drive since I cannot find the recovery disk. I need to backup the C: portion so that I could fully restore from the backup I make without having any system disk since Sony did not provide an xp disk. Thanks, Joyjg

It is good to be cautious but Windows disk management and the concept of partition does not apply only to a particular system. They are generally applicable. You have logical partitions on the same drive, and not two separate drives. IMO If something goes wrong you may loose the data on D but not on C. Still you should decide for yourself as there is no magical solution outside the Windows environment.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users