Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Monitor Does Matrix Pattern, Then Black...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 naval

naval

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:23 AM

Summary: whilst watching a video commercial on a trusted corporate website, the screen went black (though still backlit). On restarting, screen came up normal (graphics perfect) until the first Windows XP page (with the green loading bar) when there were green and black vertical strips 5mm wide, the green strips made up of four lines, a little reminiscent of that code pattern in movie Matrix. After the Windows page the green lines turned to blue, and then the screen went black (though still backlit), and the usual user login didn`t appear. Leaving the computer to run, the hard disk was active from time to time, then before long the windows logging-in jingle played as if we had logged in, the screen still black. After that, no response at all.

After problem: Laptop can be started in Safe Mode (from where I write this), there are still faint green lines superimposed. I completed a system restore but this has not fixed the problem.

The last few weeks: A number of weekends ago I attempted to open my mouse for the purpose of silencing the clicks, but on opening the mouse half way and looking inside it made itself apparent that it was not meant to be opened (without breaking the plastic case [mouse is GlanzHS by Sanwa]) On closing and restoring the mouse, I found that initially the left button didn`t seem to work, and then it did, problem solved. But then strangeness began: next time on restarting the computer, nothing responeded to the pointer or the left click on the first user login window (not a problem as TAB and Enter worked) then again in my desktop nothing responded to the pointer or left click (right click brought up menus, though left click selected nothing). I found a work around by opening Task Manager, where, after several seconds, buttons responded to the pointer and left click worked, and continued to work for everything else with Task Manager closed. The only exception was Adobe Illustrator, which I used this week for the first time since then, and found again that the pointer/left click were not working as they should.

Would the mouse be connected to the screen problem?

PC: Toshiba Qosmio G30/795LS, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Ver.2002 , SP2.

If you could shed any light on this strangeness I`d be most appreciateive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

Is the mouse integrated into the laptop? Did you have to take the laptop case apart to try and work on the mouse? You could have pulled a wire loose for the LCD. If the mouse is external try a different one and see if this solves that problem. You can check your laptops video by connecting an external monitor if the problems persist its the graphics chip in the laptop and its time to ask the boss for a new one or start shopping around. If the external monitor is clear you can be sure its the LCD and they can be replaced although the cost is similar to most low end laptops brand new.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users