Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding A Public Proxy Server

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 stomp442

stomp442

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:04 AM

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me find a good safe trusted public proxy server in the United States. You see I live in Canada and want to watch videos on Hulu and tv network sites but they are only available in the U.S.

If you could also help me with hooking up to it. I am using a D-link wired router, high speed internet, my OS is XP media center, firefox browser.
I do know that I have to change a setting in firefox but not sure what to change too.

This is what I know so far or at least I think I know; Firefox - Tools - Options - Advanced - Network - Connection(setting) - but then I don't know what one to pick

- Auto-detect proxy settings of this Network

- Manual proxy configuration

- Automatic proxy configuration URL

I hope I gave enough information and thanx for all and any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.
HERE is a site where it tells you how ports can be used as proxy URL. I'm not sure if that helped you,but you might want to just check it out.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 stomp442

stomp442
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

Thank you I will give it a look and will post back with the results.

#4 stomp442

stomp442
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

Thanx again extremeboy
Your info was helpful and because of you and a few other bits of info that I was able to find. I had no problems with finding and hooking up a public proxy server. Unfortunately though I still wasn't able to watch videos from Hulu and the TV network sites I'm guessing that they might not allow access in this way, but I'm guessing I could have done something wrong but I think I got everything right.
I'll just have to wait and see if they ever allow Hulu to come to Canada :flowers: .
:thumbsup: Thanx again

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

Despite Hulu's promises, it's unlikely that it will ever be available outside the US because NBC sells the shows to local broadcasters. Those local broadcasters like Global or CTV won't allow Hulu in Canada unless they get a cut of the ad revenue. And those networks are behind the curve when it comes to streaming video. You'll also find other US network websites have similar issues. Most of them have not come to grips with the fact that the internet is a global community.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

I've been informed that there are no such things as public proxy servers. Public proxy servers are just proxy servers that have been improperly configured so that external access can be had. Their intention was not to provide free proxy services.

This topic is closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users