Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! Computer Won't Restart/shutdown, Font Change .txt Firefox, Weird Behaviors Etc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

About my computer: custom build computer build by professionals on ncix dot com, windows XP Home Edition service pack 2 . AMD 2.1 mhz processor, 1 GB RAN, 320 GB seagate HD (it has 58% space available), File fragmented only 1%, 1.96 virtual memory available. 8-9 months old

It all started when i updated windows update on april 14 and also installed youtube uploader and the the problem started right after 2 days ago later then that. I uninstalled youtube uploaded but the problem still persist. what happens is the computer works fine for the whole day but after 9-10 hours or more for some reason it does all kinds of weird things. For example like first, on a saved notepad .txt the place where the name of the .txt is disappears (where the name and Red X mark is to close whatever your using). Even if i close and re-open it, its their and it happens basically to all programs, files I open and including firefox browser. Then it gets even worst like when i re-open a saved .txt file the font changes and also the font changes on firefox also automatically. Then I try to restart and shutdown my computer many times but it doesn't do anything (no message, its like i didn't even click the restart or shut down button) Then it gets more worse by firefox browser not opening and start menu saved shortcuts disappeared. So I had no choice but to manually power off the computer by unplugging it and when it is back on EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL! But just to be caution, I deleted all temporary internet files and cache. Then, I scanned my computer with kaspersky internet security but it didn't find anything. Also checked windows task manager for any suspicious process running and googling it and didn't find anything suspious. I even tried hijackthis tool but it didn't find anything also. I don't know whats the problem is since after 10-11 hours again (not continous work since I only surf online, read ebooks, sell on ebay, watch vidoes and nothing like that needs a lot of power like playing games, photoshop, making movies, etc) it does the same thing over in the same pathern. Please ADVISE on what I should do since I do not want to damage/erase all the MEMORABLE documents, photos and other things My family deeply cherish. We will be waiting on anything that can remedy our situation!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

if windows is damaged I would try running a repair disk

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

as it says at the beginning make sure you have everything backed up

you will lose all the windows updates and critical patches, but in your case that might be part of what's wrong

it will not fix malware tho, just damage to windows
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

if windows is damaged I would try running a repair disk

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

as it says at the beginning make sure you have everything backed up

you will lose all the windows updates and critical patches, but in your case that might be part of what's wrong

it will not fix malware tho, just damage to windows

Before I do that I want to do something else since that will take time. So, If i do a system restore prior to april 14 or when i updated windows updates will the problem go away if the cause of the problem was the update and not a malware or a virus?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

if you go to add/remove programs and click show updates you should have the option to remove the latest updates

then I would try a restore point if that doesn't work

Edited by DaChew, 19 April 2008 - 12:05 PM.

Chewy

#5 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

if you go to add/remove programs and click show updates you should have the option to remove the latest updates

then I would try a restore point if that doesn't work

If i do that and do a system restore will the problem go away if it is not caused by malware or virus

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

system restore is a hit or miss fix, some say mostly miss

it's saved many people tho
Chewy

#7 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

I did a system restore but it said "no changes have been made to your computer" What does that mean and I still see the updates for windows update i did on april 14 and 15.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Head to Add Remove programs. Set it to show updates. Look for the latest ones installed, remove them.

#9 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

Head to Add Remove programs. Set it to show updates. Look for the latest ones installed, remove them.

okay when i try to remove it says it has already been uninstalled and cannot be located (i forgot the exact message) maybe because i did a system restore. Anyway I still pressed the button "removed" and looks likes its gone from add/remove programs. But i am not sure it is. So how do i find out the update is complete removed?

#10 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

Never mind about the heating issue because i was wrong since this time the problem start happening again and the temperature was low. I believe it is a registry issue since it happened as soon as i clearned some registry from cclceaner (Ccleaner.com) and I had to manually shutdownn again (tried CTRL + DEL + ALT didn't work) So what should I do know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users