Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Are The Best Free Anti-spy Ware And Anti-mal Ware Programs?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hello Everyone!

What are the best free Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware programs available?
How and where do I get them?

I had problems with my computer crashing after start up and ended up reformating my hard-drive and restoring my computer to factory condition. I never did find out what caused my computer to crash! It even stumped the computer techs at Dell! That is why we decided to do the factory condition restore. My theory as to what happened is one of three things: 1) During an Anti-Spyware scan then deleting what it found,mostly cookies, and doing a hard drive clean up. Some important files nay have accidentally gotten deleted. 2) McAfee Firewall and Windows Firewall operating at the same time for so long finally damaged some imprtant files. 3) Some sort of malware program or a hijacker got into my computer and then deleted some files. 1 of the 3 things could have caused my computer to crash after start up.

I had 3 free anti spyware/anti malware progams at the time. Plus the McAfee and Windows programs, I did 5 scans, all ran individually and at different times. The only thing that showed up was: FakeAlert and FakeAlert.cc Only one program picked that up. That was Spybot S&D free.

Why would 1 program pick something up and not the rest of them?
Also why did nothing show up on the scans when everything was updated?
Could something have gotten through that was so new, that it did not have a defense for it yet? and
If so, could it still be there and what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you for reading my topic post!
Matt "Groffeaston"

Edit:
PS I currently have running McAfee's: Security Center,Personal Firewall,Virus scan,Spam Killer,and Privacy Service. THat is why I am looking for other programs to add to my arsenal!

I have the Windows: firewall and Defender programs not operating, after the problems I had with my computer crashing! Just in case the McAfee and Windows Firewalls worked aginst each other and contibuted to my computer crashing!

What programs would be recommended to have, so that I can stop: viruses,worms,maleware,hijackers, and other programs from getting into my computer and causing damage or getting personal information or using my computer to spread a bad program etc.... ?

Edited by Groffeaston, 19 April 2008 - 09:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hi Matt

No one product will find everything which is why you need 'layers' of protection.

SuperAntiSpyware is recognised as one of the better ones. I use the Pro version, together with ThreatFire and Comodo BOClean which seem to do the job. I also use Sygate Personal Firewall and Avast antvirus.

Links to free programmes on every conceivable subject which are used and recommended by members can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Everyone has their own ideas, so check around for what will work best for you.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 19 April 2008 - 07:00 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users