Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Replace Gpu Fans?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

I think I may need to replace my GPU fan soon but im not sure how to look for a GPU fan. any tips?

Here's my GPU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

That link just showed me a flash video, no card
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

Weird, I get page with the specs on it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:14 PM

The site gets a pop up that overlays the normal page, but you can close that and see the product.

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and see if they can help you.

If it gets to the point that the fan is having trouble there is one thing that you can try. There usually is a small paper or plastic cover over the center of the fan, this is the bearing. If you remove the cover you can take a fine oil like 3-in-one to lubricate it, use a tooth pick to apply the oil, it only takes a very small amount.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

I got a page on specs of a Geforce 6800 XT.

Is it still under warranty? If it is, they should be pretty reliable for replacing it.

But if you want to look for a new GPU fan it shouldn't be hard. Something like This would probably be good. I bought a similar one a while back and it worked great on a X700. It's also not that pricy if that matters to you.

And they're acually not that hard to install as you would think, just have to remove a few screws in the back of the card, un-hook the fan connector, yank it off. Clean off any excess thermal paste on the GPU if there's any and read the instructions.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:45 AM

And they're acually not that hard to install as you would think, just have to remove a few screws in the back of the card, un-hook the fan connector, yank it off. Clean off any excess thermal paste on the GPU if there's any and read the instructions.

Unfortunately there isn't a standard size, so the size and mounting holes will vary a fair amount. Trying to match that fan on line is going to be a craps shoot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Unfortunately there isn't a standard size, so the size and mounting holes will vary a fair amount. Trying to match that fan on line is going to be a craps shoot.

Well, the VGA Fan I linked to was compatible with the GeForce 6800. I still doubt it'd be hard to install. They even have set instructions for every card.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 mooniniteman

mooniniteman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

Cool, thanks for all the info. Ill check if its under warranty first I think :thumbsup:
But if I have to getting my hands dirty isnt a big deal to me.

Thanks again for the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users