Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Does "object Locked Mean?"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 feathers

feathers

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

When using Kaspersky's Online Scanner to scan the critical areas on drive C, the results showed that 2 'objects' could not be scanned as the objects were locked.

The objects specified were:

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\oakley.log
and C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG

What does this mean please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hi feathers

I can't answer about those particular files, but scans will often notify you about infected System Restore files which they cannot touch. These are no danger unless you happen to pick an infected file to Restore. A lot of Windows Files are locked to prevent damage to them from unwary actions.

The fix is to make a new Restore Point when you are satisfied that your machine is clean, and then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 feathers

feathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hi feathers

I can't answer about those particular files, but scans will often notify you about infected System Restore files which they cannot touch. These are no danger unless you happen to pick an infected file to Restore. A lot of Windows Files are locked to prevent damage to them from unwary actions.

The fix is to make a new Restore Point when you are satisfied that your machine is clean, and then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point.

Cheers

Aaaah.....that does make perfect sense.

Oh thank you so much for your response, it's really helpful.

I have had to format the drive & Windows on at least 2 occasions and the most recent occasion (about 3 weeks ago) was definately due to me downloading a virus that caused the system to crash and when I'd tried to reboot I got a black screen that displayed a short message which said something about the drive/system being "unrecoverable".

I'll follow your advice for sure and thanks loads for your help,

Caroline

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

"Object is locked skipped" or "Access Denied" notations in a scan are normal. Some files are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. When the scanner finds such a file, it just skips to the next one. These skipped detections are normally not malware related nor are they infected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 feathers

feathers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:59 AM

"Object is locked skipped" or "Access Denied" notations in a scan are normal. Some files are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. When the scanner finds such a file, it just skips to the next one. These skipped detections are normally not malware related nor are they infected.

Thanks loads quietman7 :thumbsup:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016