Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

I have an HP Pavilion a1640n desktop machine, 200 gig hard drive, 2 gig RAM, 2.86Mhz dual-core processor. Today, suddenly, machine will not load Windows X
When I go to system recovery I get the following message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

The message ends in the following:

"Technical information: Stop:0x0000001E(0x0000005, 0xBF938000, 0x00000000, 0x009E20F8)
win32K.sys-Address BF938000 base at BF800,000, Datestamp 3b7de698"

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I can't get my computer to start!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

Hello and welcome,
I have had many of these promblems in the past, but now it works fine. The reason why you got that message is probably that you don't have enough space in your hard drive left. Can you still turn on the computer or is it completly dead?
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hi,
I turns on, runs through BIOS, but when it's about to open XP it fails. I don't think hard disk space is the problem because this a huge HD and I've only used a minimal amount of it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

Not a lot of info available, see http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=A...amp;btnG=Search

Do you have an XP CD...to attempt various repairs?

Louis

#5 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

Louis,
No I don't have an XP disc. No discs are provided anymore on new computers.

That link didn't really help me. Thanks anyway.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

Hi, mpetrodoc
You might want to read this: HELP..WINDOWS XP won't STARTUP.....
It seems he has a promblem like yours. Read it and if you have any questions please reply it back, in your next response.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

When I turn off the machine and turn it on again pressing F11, I get a screen which says "Phoenix-AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility". What do I do with this?

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

Are you able to go to safe mode ?

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 key:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.

Edited by farbar, 20 April 2008 - 11:15 AM.

#9 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

When I do that I get a black screen with long lines of text all mentioning "multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS.........."
These lines repeat 30-40 times. The computer then cycles through the boot menu and repeats this process so I have to keep pressing F8.

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

So you are not even able to get to Safe Mode.

Try this easy step first:

Turn off and unplug the PC and the monitor. While PC is unplugged press the power button a few times. Wait about 30 sec and plug them and turn on PC.

#11 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

Did that three times. Opened up the machine and gave it a god dusting, fans, motherboard, HD, etc.

NOTHING WORKED!!!!!

Still getting those lines of code as before :thumbsup:

#12 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

If you are comfortable in recognizing RAM you may try a couple of simple things:
  • Turn off and the unplug the PC and the monitor. remove the case, make sure you ground yourself to avoid static shock to the sensitive parts. Then remove the RAM kits , plug the PC, then unplug and place the RAM kits. Plug the PC and the monitor and turn on them.
  • I don't know if your system has this one. If the step 2 did not worked turn off and unplug the PC and the monitor. Search for a coin battery, remove it, place it upside down and wait about 10 sec. It should reset your BIOS to original set up. Place the battery back into its original state. Then plug the PC and the monitor and turn on. If it worked the PC boots normally but you have to rest the date and the time and eventually the other changes you have made before in your BIOS set up like the order of the boot (setting the controller to read hard drive first or CD-ROM drive first, or if you have turned off any on board devices).
    If get it booted the rest would be easy.

#13 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:57 AM

Unfortunately, neither of those steps worked. Now the only difference is that I now have to go back and reset all my BIOS settings. The computer still cycles through trying to load Windows and failing.
One new piece of info though. I went into my BIOS CMOS Setup Utility and ran a test on the HD. I got the results below:
Target Disc: Samsung SP2504C Test Failed
Self Test Status Value - 7 completed with the read element of the test failed.

What does this mean?
Is my HD fried?
Should I bite the bullet and take the machine into some "expert" who will charge me an arm and a leg for repair?
I REALLY NEED THIS MACHINE FOR WORK!!! :thumbsup:

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

samsung hard drive utility at
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...port_HUTIL.html
boot with it to test drive

#15 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

caperdog,

So I would burn a CD of this utility and boot it in my defective machine?
I cant (or don't know how to) even get into DOS.

How would this work?
It also gives several warnings about backing up data because the utility has a write feature.
At this point it is impossible for me back anything up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users