Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Read Write Authorization Privileges

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

I tried to import the favorites after installing the os AGAIN. Anyway, I get the message that I don't have the privileges to do this.

I know I have to go into the user accounts, but I know it is not the same one as in the control panel.

I used to know all this off the top of my head, but I guess my brain needs a format and install.

Thanks.

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

If I understand correctly you want to import favorites to IE (?) if it is so you can doe it manually:

Using explorer make a copy of your favorite files and paste it into C:\Documents and Settings\ <your user name>\favorites

Good luck!

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

If I understand correctly you want to import favorites to IE (?) if it is so you can doe it manually:

Using explorer make a copy of your favorite files and paste it into C:\Documents and Settings\ <your user name>\favorites

Good luck!

No. I want to adjust the read write privileges for each user. I can't import it manually because, despite being the administrator on the pc, I cannot save the file to the correct location.

THank you.

#4 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

Just so you know: I tried that and it didn't work, either.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Home or Pro?

Pro has built-in mechanism for adjusting permissions, while Home can be adjusted to facilitate permissions.

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

You can adjust permissions for files/folders via the Security Tab.

Louis

#6 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:15 PM

Windows XP Home SP1, until I can change the privileges...

Thanks.

#7 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

Home or Pro?

Pro has built-in mechanism for adjusting permissions, while Home can be adjusted to facilitate permissions.

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

How To See the Security Tab in XP Home - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windo...-Tab-in-XP-Home

You can adjust permissions for files/folders via the Security Tab.

Louis

Neither of those is what I'm seeking. I've done it before by using the Run command and typing in something to do with users and passwords.

I give up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users