Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replying With "bump"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:16 PM

i see sometimes some people replying with the word "bump" and only that word, what does that mean?
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

To bump a thread on an Internet forum is to post a reply to it purely in order to raise the thread's profile. This will typically return it to the top of the list of active threads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_(Internet)

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

Bumps are now ignored in the HJT forums.

Some Mods cut away or delete others.

Bumping a post only sets one back.

The HJT team has another list of logs to overview.

Moral of the story is - don't bump?

Edited by KoanYorel, 19 April 2008 - 06:32 AM.
to reopen the topic

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

Bump...

lol

Only noobs bump. People see it as a way that they can get people to notice their topics, or if they just want someone to reply quickly... Ive seen quite a few threads on other forums, and theres been about 30 posts to the topic, but about 24 of them were bumps...

It gets really annoying, and on the forum I used to moderate, I would delete the post, if not the topic, and/or give the user a warning.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

There are legitimate reasons to "bump" a thread or post as it slides inevitably down to the second or third page and bring it back to the top of a forum; activity in very busy forums often "prematurely" pushes recent posts out of site and out of mind, or for whatever reason, a post is not responded to within a reasonable, given the forum and the topic, amount of time.

Bumps outside of these admittedly rather vague categories are considered to be rude and exemplifying impatience if not self-centeredness on the part of the bumper by most on-line communities. Since this kind of bumping generally results in the post being ignored completely, it is probably wise to always err on the side of caution (or discretion) if you are thinking about bumping your topic.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

There are legitimate reasons to "bump" a thread or post as it slides inevitably down to the second or third page and bring it back to the top of a forum; activity in very busy forums often "prematurely" pushes recent posts out of site and out of mind, or for whatever reason, a post is not responded to within a reasonable, given the forum and the topic, amount of time.

But no matter what the circumstances, its still widely seen as spamming. Which is why, in my opinion, if you need to bump/allow bumping if the reason falls under some category, then bumping, should not just be

...bump...?

but more like

Does any one have any ideas, I'm really stuck, sorry for the double post...

Or along the lines.. That way, more people will not see it as some arrogant (insert swear word) trying to get attention...

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

I hate massive bumping. :flowers:

While I am a member of only a few forums, I visit a lot of them. I don't like going to one of my favorite forums, clicking a topic (thinking that it has been updated because it is at the top of the page), only to find out that the only new posts are five or six people bumping it!!! Its very irritating.

If you don't have anything useful to say, then don't say it!!! :thumbsup:

#8 datastrain

datastrain

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

what do you do if your question is not answered intelligently, or someone just decides to reply with "lol" or something. i just bumped this topic because it's been awhile.

Edited by datastrain, 18 August 2010 - 06:44 PM.

a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

I agree with jgweed. Some time there could be a good reason to bump. I never have. IMHO the reason most post get bumped is to get a faster answer. Some things that might help to get a faster reply would be. 1. A topic starter that makes sense, (need help) or the like means nothing. 2. Putting enough information in your story so others have some idea what they are working with. 3. Your story should be typed with sentences, complete words, proper capitals, punctuation, (no phone text). This way other members will read your post and decide if they can help. 4. Be respectful.

Edited by Layback Bear, 19 August 2010 - 08:58 AM.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

I can see it in some categories, like say in hardware, where a op follows given advice but it takes him a bit to get back to the forum and his thread is 2 or 3 pages back-in that case I actually prefer they bump their old thread to starting a new one because it has all the information given ands all right there, I don't have to go hunting for it, unless the op restates the information and everything tried to date. In a case like that, bumping doesn't bother me. It does when a person is simply being impatient, or has posted a vague computer question that is hard to understand, so it hasn't been replied to, or if it has its been replied asking for clarification-and the op refuses to do so.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users