Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Problems/issues With Spybot 1.5.2?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

My stats:

XP Home SP2
Firefox 1.0.0.14
ZA Free 6.5.737
AVG A/V and Antispyware Free (both 7.5)
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06r1
SUPERAntiSpyware 4.0.1154
AVG Anti-rootkit free

I've been using Spybot 1.4 as well for awhile now, but just today there was an update that isn't 100% compatible with 1.4 and you get an error message. According to the Spybot forums, you have to update to 1.5.2 to get rid of the error. I've been avoiding updating Spybot because of various issues reported with 1.5 (both here and on their forum, details here. (Should I have just posted in that thread again instead of starting this thread? Sorry if that's the case!)

But now that it looks like updating is going to be a necessity, I'm wondering if anyone is still having issues with 1.5.2 or if it doesn't play nice with anything else (including what I've listed above).

Also, I read that 1.5.2 immunizes within Firefox as well as IE (and blocks cookies, pop-ups, etc.). Does this have any effect on settings you've already got in Firefox (for example, I've got a long list of sites listed to accept cookies from as exceptions, and a list of cookies to block, etc.) -- so does it undo all that by letting it do its thing in Firefox, or is it in addition to what you've already got set in Firefox?

I'm also wondering if it's even necessary at all, especially now that I use SUPERAntiSpyware Free. Maybe it's better just to uninstall SpyBot and be done with it?

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 18 April 2008 - 02:10 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

some 'thoughts'

you may wish to stick WITH the 1.4 version and ignore the updates to 1.5

your windows version supports the upgrade but you may not like the way the upgraded version runs

many of us now just use superantispyware , however, I keep my spybot old version and run an occasional scan
I think it may really be your preferences that count?

#3 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

I'm not sure that I'm willing to move to 1.5, and if there's going to be trouble with 1.4 then I think, for me, the time may have come to ditch it. Or rather, just stop using it! I rarely use it to scan with anyway, now. I really just keep it for the immunisation and the tools.

I just updated today - no errors reported during the update. When is the error supposed to occur?
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

I'm not sure that I'm willing to move to 1.5, and if there's going to be trouble with 1.4 then I think, for me, the time may have come to ditch it. Or rather, just stop using it! I rarely use it to scan with anyway, now. I really just keep it for the immunisation and the tools.

I just updated today - no errors reported during the update. When is the error supposed to occur?

No error with the update, it happens when you run it. You will get this message at some point during the scan:

"There were problems in the include file C:/program files/spybot.search_destroy/includes/trojansC.sbi"

See "includes errors.log" for details.

You click okay, then the scan finishes. Then you can go to the log in question that's in Application Data > Spybot - Search & Destroy > Logs and it will say something like this:

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\TrojansC.sbi | Win32.Agent.frl | <$FILE_SYSTEM>
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\TrojansC.sbi | Win32.Agent.frl | <$FILE_EXE>
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\TrojansC.sbi | Zlob.DNSChanger | <$FILE_EXE>
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\TrojansC.sbi | Zlob.DNSChanger | <$FILE_EXE>
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\TrojansC.sbi | Zlob.DNSChanger.rtk | <$FILE_EXE>

This is what mine said -- I've seen it posted with less/different entries.

I don't know what any of this means or if this error makes your computer vulnerable in any way (I wouldn't think so, but that's just a guess). Any thoughts?

They do say over there that it is an update that is not compatible with 1.4. Too bad they didn't point out in the updates that it was only for 1.5.2! :flowers:

As for sticking with 1.4, I've got the incompatible update already. I can avoid doing any further updates, but I'm not sure there's any way to get rid of that one I've got. Does it matter?

I'm thinking that I may just uninstall. I saw instructions to do so here. Can you take a look and see if that all seems right?

What about that little registry clean-up thing? You can open it in notepad to see what it does. Does that look like a good idea after uninstalling? Are all those things listed in it Spybot related. (Most you can clearly see they are, but some things listed don't mention Spybot...)

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#5 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:48 AM

They do say over there that it is an update that is not compatible with 1.4. Too bad they didn't point out in the updates that it was only for 1.5.2! :thumbsup:

As for sticking with 1.4, I've got the incompatible update already. I can avoid doing any further updates, but I'm not sure there's any way to get rid of that one I've got. Does it matter?

This sort of thing is another reason why Spybot is assuming less and less significance in my security arsenal. The problems with 1.5, followed by this kind of non-compatibility with 1.4, with no warning, and the fact that it's no longer an MVPS recommended program - it all kind of adds up to something that I don't really want to use any more.

I'm in the same situation as you, in that I now (presumably) have the incompatible update. I haven't tried to run a scan yet (I haven't run a spybot scan for several weeks anyway). But I'm not in a hurry to uninstall it, because the immunisation is worth having. Basically, I'm not going to do anything. Just wait and keep an eye on things. (I don't have any better idea than you do about those uninstallation instructions, and I don't see the need to rush into anything.)

You have two good antispyware scanners there (AVG and SAS), even leaving Spybot aside. I wouldn't worry about this. I'd be more inclined to be thinking about some form of real-time active antispyware protection (like the AVG resident shield), which I think you don't have at the moment? Otherwise, I agree with ruby1, really.

Edited by Alan D, 19 April 2008 - 04:51 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:37 AM

you are of course aware that with spybot and updating you need to pick and choose the updates you want and not just 'go for everything' that is on the menue?

MY suggestion ,even if you are on an XP machine , might be to remain with the older spybot version

I have just updated my spybot 1.4 and hopefully it will NOT try and tell me I too have a trojan on board

do you have saved on your computers the exe for the older spybot version shoudl you wish to revert back TO it?

also, some on this thread have adaware se on board? we are aware are we not that adaware se is no longer valid or updating ?if you have an XP machine you can install the adaware 2007 http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php which is NOT compatible with any computer running win 98se ; also seems that spybot 1.5 is not completley compatible with many comps on 98se either :thumbsup:

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:58 AM

RE: SPYBOT

you are of course aware that with spybot and updating you need to pick and choose the updates you want and not just 'go for everything' that is on the menue?

I have only been choosing the ones marked with a "!" -- except for the one that's an update to the actually program to 1.5.2. However, they do not mark their "!" updates as to which ones will work with 1.4 or not. :thumbsup: That is how we've ended up with an update that causes the error described above.

I do still have my 1.4 .exe file -- but, then, I wouldn't know which updates to use and which not to, to get it back to how it was prior to the last incompatible update. Know what I mean?

My main concern right now is whether or not having it updated with the incompatible update like Alan and I have is harmful to the computer in any way or makes us more vulnerable for something than we were prior to installing the incompatible update. Probably not -- and those errors listed in the log probably aren't that big a deal -- but I'd like to be sure.

Note that upon completion of the scan, it still says that there were no harmful things found. So no false-positives are resulting. Just those errors in the log.

Any further thoughts? I will post back if I find out any more.

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 21 April 2008 - 02:05 PM.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

RE: AD-AWARE SE

also, some on this thread have adaware se on board? we are aware are we not that adaware se is no longer valid or updating ?if you have an XP machine you can install the adaware 2007 http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php which is NOT compatible with any computer running win 98se

Actually, as far as I know (and have been doing), Ad-Aware SE can still be updated with definitions *manually* by going here:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/

...and downloading the definitions yourself. The link is located on the far right, at the top, in red. The current one that works with Ad-Aware SE says:

SE1R240

If you right-click and save-as, after downloading, you can unzip and then just replaces the defs file you currently have in your Ad-Aware folder with the new one. Then, if you open Ad-Aware Se, you will see that it is updated with the newest defs! :flowers:

Or have I been doing this wrong and that's not actually how it works? If that's the case, please let me know!

:thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 21 April 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#9 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:34 AM

Or have I been doing this wrong and that's not actually how it works? If that's the case, please let me know!

That's correct as far as I'm aware, and is what I've been doing too (except that I haven't bothered for the last few weeks, so it looks like Adaware is quietly fizzling out on my system, by default!)

Edited by Alan D, 22 April 2008 - 03:34 AM.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

I asked around and found this out about the error with Spybot:

It does not make your system vulnerable in any way.
The error is internal; it is having difficulties piping an include file of definitions in order to perform a file scan.
The error is nothing more than that -- a notice of the inability to process one of the definition files.

So there's no reason to worry about reverting back to before the incompatible update, it seems.

Should we continue to update the immunization database though? Maybe next time I see that it's updated, I'll post on the Spybot board and ask if it's compatible with 1.4. But I guess we should skip the rest of the updates for now on... Or maybe it doesn't matter. Don't know...

#11 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for passing on this info.

If we don't update 1.4, then the immunisation would get steadily out of date and progressively less effective as time goes on. Which raises a question I've often pondered: how much additional protection does Spybot's immunisation really give, when added to Spywareblaster's protection? I know Spybot adds a vast number of extra entries, but are they actually effective threats? And if they are, then why aren't they in Spywareblaster's database anyway?

And we should bear in mind that if we switch to AVG8 at some point in the fairly near future, it doesn't seem to like ANY of these passive Spybot/Spywareblaster protection systems. There's an awful lot in the melting pot here.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

I have been using spybot since the first year it came out

and immediately upgraded to 1.5 with it's buggy startup

the latest 1.5.2 is pretty mature, the hosts file immunization and sd helper seem the best features

however the upgrading is getting complicated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=800982
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

If we don't update 1.4, then the immunisation would get steadily out of date and progressively less effective as time goes on. Which raises a question I've often pondered: how much additional protection does Spybot's immunisation really give, when added to Spywareblaster's protection? I know Spybot adds a vast number of extra entries, but are they actually effective threats? And if they are, then why aren't they in Spywareblaster's database anyway?

I actually don't use Spywareblaster, so I'm not sure about that at all.

I'd think we could update the immunization database in Spybot until that too becomes incompatible with 1.4. But I don't know if there's any point.

And we should bear in mind that if we switch to AVG8 at some point in the fairly near future, it doesn't seem to like ANY of these passive Spybot/Spywareblaster protection systems. There's an awful lot in the melting pot here.

I will uninstall Spybot before updating to AVG 8.0 A/V Free then, for sure. Personally, I'm thinking that AVG A/V Free, AVG Antispyware Free, ZA Free (older version 6.5.737), and SUPERAntiSpyware Free is a decent circle of protection for me. It may not include any "real-time" protection, but I don't do a lot of random internet searching, nor get much (if any) spam with potential threats, etc.

however the upgrading is getting complicated

Just another reason to avoid it, I guess... (And to get rid of 1.4 eventually...)

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

The developer of spybot's intentions and ethics have always earned my deepest respect, AVG has lost it. But then to some it's all about money.

On a similar note I just tried to upgrade a clients computer, pretty sure it was java and I told it to not install the google toolbar, they did anyway.

I really see similarities in malware, seems it's ok if it's google or yahoo doing it.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

The developer of spybot's intentions and ethics have always earned my deepest respect, AVG has lost it. But then to some it's all about money.

I guess it all comes down to a matter of opinion, to a degree, as to what's best to use. I agree from the little I've read from Spybot's developer that their intentions are good. But while there are good intentions, there are still the reports that people have having issues or just don't like the new version of Spybot, right? (Of course, there's always people who don't like the new version of anything.) In addition, I believe I read here that Spybot is no longer listed on some respected list of effective software (can't remember what it was), and that along with the fact that I see a growing number of posts that report Spybot (both new and old versions) as being ineffectual -- I guess good intentions (which are truly important) only go so far when examining reliability and effectualness, etc.

In regards to AVG -- what is the reason behind your opinion? I don't know too much, but I realize they are trying to get people to update to Version 8.0 (which is a paid for version at this time) with the small banner type ads and occasional pop-up embedded in the updated 7.5 Free program (which, in all honestly, isn't *that* bad -- kind of annoying, and I didn't like Firefox automatically going to the AVG website when I updated AVG 7.5 free for a few days there -- but in the grand scheme of things, I guess it's pretty minor considering you're getting a free product). However, I've read on the AVG board that AVG A/V 8.0 Free is coming -- so the program will still be free for those who want it (like me), and you're not being forced to start paying. Of course, I don't know the details behind AVG 8.0 Free and if there's going to be ads, or calling home, or other crap like that now (maybe you have the skinny on that?), but I'm hoping/assuming for now it will be pretty much like 7.5 Free (which I've yet to have any problems with). Any thoughts?

Of course, I really don't know much about any of this, so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt! :thumbsup: :flowers:

Re: Ad-Aware SE's definition updates -- I read this:

While you can still (for now) manually update Ad-Aware SE, it doesn't detect and remove the same Bad Guys that Ad-Aware 2007 does.

I guess that's true, but I don't plan on updating due to all the problems I've read about the 2007 version.

Re: Spybot removal -- I also asked around about that little registry cleaner file they provide to run after uninstalling, and found this out:

The registry script deals only with entries that would have been created by SpyBot itself.
Other than making sure there is no Run entry anymore for TeaTimer, or a BHO object for SpyBot SD, the bulk of the entries remove registry stores for TeaTimer in HKCR, and these should be removed.

For the truly paranoid, manually create a System Restore Point ahead of time.

Of course, when I get around to doing this, I'll be making a restore point first! :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users