Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Celticsfan

Celticsfan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

Is there some sort of free script that can tell a program/application what to do? Like start, run, scan or what ever it is suppose to do? Maybe someone might have such a script/thing that they have created? If someone does and wouldn't mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it.

Trying to get a job to run on its own without any user assistance. I can use a scheduler to start it but not actually "run" by itself.

And Please I want only positive feedback.

Edited by Celticsfan, 18 April 2008 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

In other words, you need to pass the application some sort of parameters?

#3 Celticsfan

Celticsfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

In other words, you need to pass the application some sort of parameters?

That is correct. Only a couple. Can you please help me out with it?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

What sort of script do you want to run? There are simple batch files; vbscript, perl scripts, etc. They all work about the same though.

START C:\Windows\NOTEPAD.EXE

If you need to add switches to the command, then you just add the switches, just like you would do from the command line.
START ipconfig /all

That is really all there is to it. There are tohttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/
MSNBC ns of examples of writing batch files.

#5 Celticsfan

Celticsfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

What sort of script do you want to run? There are simple batch files; vbscript, perl scripts, etc. They all work about the same though.

START C:\Windows\NOTEPAD.EXE

If you need to add switches to the command, then you just add the switches, just like you would do from the command line.
START ipconfig /all

That is really all there is to it. There are tohttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/
MSNBC ns of examples of writing batch files.

Basically, what I want the script to do is have a mouse highlite a job and then have it click a tab on the bottom of the screen to hit RUN and that is all I need it to do.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

You are sort of talking about two different things here. Using a script to run an application from a command line is one thing. A script that is able to recognize what windows are active, which job you want to run, and then simulate a button press are two very different things. Could you just be specific in what you want to do? You are telling us two different things at this point; one that is easily possible, the other that is nigh on impossible.

#7 Celticsfan

Celticsfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

You are sort of talking about two different things here. Using a script to run an application from a command line is one thing. A script that is able to recognize what windows are active, which job you want to run, and then simulate a button press are two very different things. Could you just be specific in what you want to do? You are telling us two different things at this point; one that is easily possible, the other that is nigh on impossible.

Sorry for the confusion. I want to run a job which requires user help such as highliting a job, click run, and click on one other tab so the job will start to run. I was wondering if it is possible to have all these things done without user assistance?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

1. Is the job the same every time?
2. Can the job be made to run from a command line?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you will not be able to do it with a simple script.

#9 Celticsfan

Celticsfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

1. Is the job the same every time?
2. Can the job be made to run from a command line?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you will not be able to do it with a simple script.

1. yes, for sure.
2. yes, for sure.

I also need the script to highlite the job, click on "run" and then click on "continue run" on a new window that opens up.

Edited by Celticsfan, 19 April 2008 - 07:53 PM.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

I guess I am not explaining myself well. You can't get a simple script to highlight a job. If the job can be run from a command line, than you can script it, but only if run from the command line. The command line has no gui, so there is nothing to 'highlight'.

#11 Celticsfan

Celticsfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

I guess I am not explaining myself well. You can't get a simple script to highlight a job. If the job can be run from a command line, than you can script it, but only if run from the command line. The command line has no gui, so there is nothing to 'highlight'.

Ok, lets try something else then. I want to have a script that will back up certain things, compress that backup and then burn it to CD? Can you provide me with a script that can do that?

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:41 AM

How about we make a trade? Can you provide me with a script that tells me when my computer is off?

(There are tons of scripting examples all over the Internet. There is no need to 'provide' you with one, because they have already been provided. You just need to look for them :thumbsup: )

#13 Celticsfan

Celticsfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

Remember my 1st post in this thread about only positive responses..... If you can't provide any, please don't respond!!!!

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

Maybe you don't quite understand how a forum works. You ask a question, and when someone has time, or if they are so inclined, they will help you. If you are too lazy to at least make an effort to help yourself, don't expect us to do it for you.

In my first post, I gave you an example of how to use a script to run a command. I asked questions to try and clarify what it was you needed. I am willing to help you find resources, I am willing to help you correct programming errors, and I am willing to discuss strengths and weaknesses of various languages that you may want to use. But I am not going to provide any script for you.

There are tons of examples on the web. Exercise some initiative and look for them.

EDIT: Just thought I would share some member feedback.

How can such an bleep become an admin of a site? If you chose not to help people don't reply to their threads. Maybe you should give up your duties as "bleep" to others who are actually helpful you useless p***k.

So I guess that I am off your Christmas list then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users