Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fratleyslayer

Fratleyslayer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

Alright. I have a Compaq presario low end specced computer. So I slowly start to upgrade stuff( 1gig of ram to 4gigs, onboard graphics card to Geforce 8600 GT) and I start having massive problems with it such as computer crashing, locking up, etc.

I spoke to many people about this, and came to the conclusion that it was overheating. Alright, no big deal. I upgrade the case to a full size case, get 2 new 25mm fans, and the company i did business with said they were having specials on their motherboards and realized I probably needed an upgrade on that. Alright. At first they order me the wrong motherboard, almost losing my cpu because i was carelessly putting it together and they gave me wrong socket motherboard.

They apologize, order me a new motherboard(which took them a freaking week...) and say they will transfer my old rig into the new case. I thought that was nice of them... Little did I know, they royally screwed me over there too. They gave me the wrong Drivers cd for the motherboard, they didn't call windows about the new motherboard installation, and I have yet to this day gotten the onboard sound card working....

ANYWAYS. I go home, fix all the problems they carelessly forgot to mention to me, and I am pulling my hair out trying to get the onboard sound to work.. Well finally i give up, and go to a local computer shop, instead of compumax, this place is named Azoo's. Then is where I found out they gave me the wrong drivers for the motherboard, they pop the new disc in and install. Everything that came with the motherboard is working fine, EXCEPT the sound for some reason.. They can't figure it out, and offer me a low end sound card for cheap. I take them up on the offer because i just want to be done. They install it there, the sound card blue screens my computer, and we find out the sound card was a fried one... Thanks!! They replace that the same day, i go home; everything is working peachy. Well about a month has gone by, and the blue screens/crashes/freezes are back.. I have no idea what it is now, since the blue screen errors are only showing up for half a second, and they aren't appearing in the event viewer. I am literally going nutty and I thought I would approch a forum that has helped me out in the past(ironically, the blue screen error from my first compy :thumbsup:)

Computer Specs. Right.
Mother board is an ASUS M2n-SliDeluxe.
Graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 8600GT
4 gigs of ram
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+2.21 Ghz
Windows XP Sp2

and if anything else is needed.. just ask.

BY the way, the crashes are usually in programs such as 3dsmax, or Wc3 The frozen throne(Super old game, which drives me nuts.. dunno why it would crash in that)

Thanks in advance everyone, hope somebody can help me!!

sorry for the wall of text, also :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

To show BSOD's

Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Fratleyslayer

Fratleyslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

Checked. Never has been unchecked to my knowledge, because I've had to write them down before. This one just seems to bypass the "DONT RESTART ON BSOD thing"

Thankyou for speedy help though.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

I don't think overheating is the problem. BSOD's normally happen from faulty drivers.

Had a load of them when trying to install a web cam. It kept coming up to "test" it and every time it loaded the driver it would give me a BSOD. Why? my computer shut down during installation.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Fratleyslayer

Fratleyslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

is there any underlying way of telling which drivers are faulty? I've done a lot of upgrading lately and that is a ton of drivers to check :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

If you're using the stock power supply, that sure isn't helping any. I'd go 400-500watt
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:35 AM

If you're using the stock power supply, that sure isn't helping any. I'd go 400-500watt

+1 for this this. You're probably not getting enough juice to that card. :thumbsup:

#8 Fratleyslayer

Fratleyslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

650-watt power supply :]

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

Well...what about checks for malware?

I can't believe that there are no error messages...there wouldn't be if overheating was applicable, but there wouldn't be if malware was involved.

You mean to say that there are no errors at all on either tab for your system?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users