Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thomasbonar

thomasbonar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

I recently upgraded to XP Home edition from ME.
I never had any problem connecting to the internet before, but now I do.
I have been on the phone with people from microsoft and have tried all sorts of things to get connected. Nothing has worked.
They try to tell me that it might be a problem with my modem, but it always worked fine before.
I am a novice to all of this and am completly frustrated.

Has anyone encountered this problem and been able to solve it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

I have been on the phone with people from microsoft and have tried all sorts of things to get connected. Nothing has worked.
They try to tell me that it might be a problem with my modem, but it always worked fine before.

Right Click on my computer -> Manage -> go to device manger

Do you see anything with a yellow ! point or a red x? Does anything show up under network adapters?

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Hi thomasbonar,

Welcome to Bleepping Computer.

After following the suggestion given by Sambc12 you may want to let us know your findings.

Could you tell us also if you have a firewall other than Windows firewall?

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

Right Click on my computer -> Manage -> go to device manger

Do you see anything with a yellow ! point or a red x? Does anything show up under network adapters?

Look under network adapters and if you see your network with a X over it, right click and then press enable. Like what farbar said can you tell us what firewall you are using. When I was using comodo Firewall pro I couldn't acess the interenet, however once I uninstalled it, my internet connection was back.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users