Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ctrl+n Disabled By System Administrator (library)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

After pressing Ctrl+N:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

I am in the Library and using Internet Explorer Version 6. Any idea why a System Administrator would disable Ctrl+N? Is it for security reasons?

Other Ctrl+(Letter) work...

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

Ask the Library about this issue.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258864
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I am not really that desperate for the Ctrl+N option! I can just double click the Explorer icon and still end up where I want, maybe losing a second or two in the process! I was just wondering whether it was disabled because of security or some other reasons. Maybe some System Administrators here might have some answers, or questions of wonder, who knows!

As for the link to that article, it looks like it is talking about Ctrl+N in a specific circumstance. But thanks, I have learned a new term: 'Kiosk Mode'. I am sure I have seen that full screen Internet Explorer window before but never heard of its name as being 'Kiosk mode'.

Edited by Juha, 18 April 2008 - 01:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users