Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy To Fit New Vid Card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hi,
I've just picked up a second-hand Nvidia GeForce 4 video card to replace my ancient GeForce 2, but I don't know how to fit it, I'm PC-illiterate (sniffle), and I've got no documentation with the new card at all.
Shall I just remove the PC case cover, remove the old card and bung the new one in, is it as easy as that?
If I mess up i'll have to cart the PC down to the local computer shop to bail me out of trouble as usual for their standard 25 (42 dollars) fee.
PS - what does this mean on the wrapper - "ATTENTION! Observe precautions for handling electrostatic devices" ?
Thanks

PS I'm AMD Sempron 3000+
512Mb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Win XP Home SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi,
I've just picked up a second-hand Nvidia GeForce 4 video card to replace my ancient GeForce 2, but I don't know how to fit it, I'm PC-illiterate (sniffle), and I've got no documentation with the new card at all.
Shall I just remove the PC case cover, remove the old card and bung the new one in, is it as easy as that?
If I mess up i'll have to cart the PC down to the local computer shop to bail me out of trouble as usual for their standard 25 (42 dollars) fee.
PS - what does this mean on the wrapper - "ATTENTION! Observe precautions for handling electrostatic devices" ?
Thanks

PS I'm AMD Sempron 3000+
512Mb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Win XP Home SP2

That warning is to make sure you're grounded, so there is no shock to the hardware (Think static)

Also, it's pretty much as simple as removing the old one and putting the new one in. (Then downloading the drivers, I suggest getting the drivers BEFORE installing the card)
Also, are you sure the card is compatible with your current motherboard? (PCI/AGP?)

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Assuming that the GeForce2 is in an AGP slot, yes it really is that simple. Pretty sure that GeForce2 only came in AGP but i could be wrong. You will have to install drivers once the new card is in there tho. If it didn't come with a disc then it will look really crappy until you download the drivers, or XP finds them. If you can't find em post back what number it is...assuming 4200 but ya know what they say about assuming.

The warning label means if you rub a balloon on your head then grab the card you will fry something. Just handle it by the edges and don't knock around any components :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Assuming that they are

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

Okay thanks guys, after 4 days of trying to get the PC case off, I finally succeeded and whipped the old GeForce2 out and bunged in the GeForce4 Ti 4400 and amazingly it seems to be working fine, all my games now display faster and smoother..:)
Just one thing- do I really need to install drivers for it? I mean its doing its job well enough like I said..
I presume the old GeForce 2 drivers are still on my system, so what do you recommend, shall I just leave everything as it is, or uninstall the GF2 drivs and install the GF4 ones?

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:20 AM

it may do better if you install its own drivers, but i say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

#7 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

Yes you should install the latest drivers for it. Just go to nividia website to download drivers dont use the ones off the cd if you have a driver cd.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users