Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

I recently updated my winamp but since i have i am getting no sound from my pc.

I have checked all the drivers are up to date and they are.

It is an internal Realtek High Definition Audio with both front and rear outputs and inputs.

My pc is a HP Pavilion Intel Pentium® 4 2.93GHz with 1gig RAM

I have tried the troubleshooter but with no result.

Can anyone help please?

Ta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

I recently updated my winamp but since i have i am getting no sound from my pc.

I have checked all the drivers are up to date and they are.

It is an internal Realtek High Definition Audio with both front and rear outputs and inputs.

My pc is a HP Pavilion Intel PentiumŪ 4 2.93GHz with 1gig RAM

I have tried the troubleshooter but with no result.

Can anyone help please?

Ta

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

Not meaning to interfere...Have you checked the device manager? I recently had an issue similar to this and I found that the plug and play system device enumerator had /!\ box next to it colored yellow. Right-clicked it and chose properties...Message stated that drivers couldn't be found...

While there I would open up sound and audio and check for problems there...I went through the driver un-install/re-install routine for the better part of a day with no luck.

Just a few more ideas to look at...

If I'm out of line, Please let me know...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Not meaning to interfere...Have you checked the device manager? I recently had an issue similar to this and I found that the plug and play system device enumerator had /!\ box next to it colored yellow. Right-clicked it and chose properties...Message stated that drivers couldn't be found...

While there I would open up sound and audio and check for problems there...I went through the driver un-install/re-install routine for the better part of a day with no luck.

Just a few more ideas to look at...

If I'm out of line, Please let me know...

He said "I have checked all the drivers are up to date and they are." I took that to mean he looked in device manager, hence if he did not see a yellow ! he should try to uninstall and reinstall.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

Wait a minute...Let's back up here a little bit...I think that you misunderstood me a little bit...

By all means he should take your advise and try to Un-install/re-install the drivers...It may work for his particular problem.

The Plug and Play System Device Enumerator is not listed in the same area in the device manager console...It is under SYSTEMS and if that is not opened you may not see the conflict...I guess that I could have made that clearer.

I merely suggested other things to look at if your solution doesn't work...What I said was it didn't work for me...

As a valuable member here (I can see that you are a HJT trainee) you should be able to understand that no two symtoms are exactly the same...They may be SIMILAR but not exactly the same...What works for one problem may not work for the other!!!

My intent was to merely point out other things to look at ...You are the lead dog here..."If you aren't the Lead Dog...The view is always the same."

Again, I'm sorry if you misunderstood me...At any case, I will not interupt again...

#6 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

Martin,

I don't care about being the "Lead Dog" I care about providing support for the people that need it. I did not mean to offend you by any means and by all means he should try your solution if mine doesn't work.

I was posting fast while at work and I can see why my post offended you, but I promise that was not how I meant it. I was just pointing out the clues I recognized so others could see how I got to my conclusion. The same way I want to provide support I also want to teach others how to help support themselves. Like that old saying give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.

Again I meant not harm and it was not an attack.

Sorry,
Sam

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

Boys Boys you dont need to fight over me. lol

And for the record im a woman. lol

Thank you for BOTH your suggestions........

I have no conflicts at all showing on my system, no yellow triangles, nowt.

I uninstalled my driver for it last night and followed instruction to reset which i promply did but with very strange results. The computer started to power up as normal but then got stuck opening the programs you get in the bottom right. Couldn't click start all i had was a busy cursor so i shut down pc via the windows task manager and rebooted this morning.

To my amazement and sadness too, when it did power up (which i must add it did as normal) i still had no sound but put that down to me uninstalling the driver so went to check the sound devices and there is a driver installed. Went to do update for it and it says i have the latest version.

Still very confused as to why i am gettin no sound, not even system sounds (as they show as playing).

Do you have any other ideas??????

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Sorry about your ongoing issue....You may want to check that services for your devices are started and set to automatic...

Press windows logo+R....A run dialoge box will open...Type in services.msc and click OK...

A new window will display services...Cursor down the list until you find Windows Audio...Double click it and a new window will open. In this window you should see a message that it is started. If for some reason it isn't started you can start it by clicking on the start button...Also make sure that it is set to start automatically...Again this can be done by clicking on a button..

While there clik the recovery tab...In the 3 recovery boxes make sure they state something like "restart services after failure" or something like that I can't remember for sure...

See what this does for you...Good Luck...

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi Douglas,

Have followed your intruction and still no joy i am afraid :trumpet:

And now even stranger it has just happened to my husbands computer too and he has sound earlier but now when he went to play a file and nothing... even weirder he hasnt touched anything or updated anything for that to happen and all his settings are the same as mine.

:thumbsup: VERY STRANGE :flowers:

#10 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Have you checked your speaker configuration settings?

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

yes and everything is ok there too.

#12 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

Very strange indeed :thumbsup:

Edited by Bartster, 19 April 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#13 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Do you have another player you could try to rule out winamp problem?

WMP?

Edited by Bartster, 19 April 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

Yes have tried various players and have tried that. but i am not even gettin system sounds

#15 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

I'll look into a few things and get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users