Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Random-named Process.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nondlkj

nondlkj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:18 AM

Whenever I start up my Acer laptop and ctrl+alt+del, there is this randomly generated 6-letter/number .EXE process taking around 3000 K mem usage. When i terminate it, nothing happens. I do not know what it does and i have run spybot, adaware, norton, and Avira. this laptop has been victim of viruses before (WoW account was compromised twice). Does anyone know what this is and if it is harmful?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:32 AM

Could you please provide us with the alphanumerical name?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

yes, without a name its kind of hard to give any help..

either post it here or look it up using google, and/or the 'file database' on this site :thumbsup:

#4 nondlkj

nondlkj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

The thing is, every time I boot up my computer, there is a new name for the process. It takes up exactly 3000 K of mem at the beginning and goes up by very little the longer the process is there (around 3200 for 2-3 hours of computer usage). If I end the process, around 1-2 hours later, a new process with the random name pops up again starting at 3000 k mem usage. I've rebooted 3 times and here are the names that it takes each time i rebooted
Q6XBC3.EXE
SAAE00.EXE
JB1ADA.EXE

All of them are 6-spaces long and alphanumerical. Hope this helps you help me :thumbsup:. Ah, and all of the names don't yield any results on google.

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hello.

Looks like a possible malware infection :thumbsup: .

Lets try uploading one of the files.
  • Take down the name of one of the files.
  • Click on your Start Menu, then Search, the All files and Folders.
  • Under Look in, select Local Hard Drives.
  • Click Search.
  • When the files are found, take note of their location.
  • Copy one of them to another folder.
Upload the file into the scanner HERE and post back with the results.

With Regards,
The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users